iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

We were eating lunch on the tailgate with the dozer parked in front of us, maybe a half mile in.
I looked over in a tangle "Duude, is that what I think it is?" My partner walks over, nope, but he can't think of what it is. A few minutes later I'm pushing and snapped a branch off a mature one that is beginning to leaf out. I yelled "Horse chestnut", and he nodded. That baby one looked like somebody's happy cabbage  :D. The bark is different but the leaves in post 1418 looked like it.

I turned around on my way in this morning;

And then got up to where I parked and this was blooming, but not for long.

Ljohnsaw

Walked in a big park here in Madrid this morning.at least ¾ of the trees were horse Chestnut and huge. In California they are just big bushes.

Ok, this first one I don't know.

This one I think a lot of you southern guys know.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

The leaves look like some sort of pepper.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

rusticretreater

No pictures of cafe's or food, lovely senoritas or bullfights? Ay carumba. 
 smiley_bull_stomp
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Magicman

The first one could possibly be in the Locust family??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jaciausa

Bald cypress would be my guess 2nd tree

JonathanPace

Kauri Tree (Native to New Zealand)

It is also one of the world's biggest trees and one of the longest-living. 

Don P

Michelle tromped out of the woods behind the barn with the new dawg and had this in her hand.
It's not a tree.

Andries

That looks like my father in law's long lost, found in the bilge, hearing aid.
. . . you did say it wasn't a tree.  eh eh
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Mooseherder

A Doctor Seuss Peace pipe or a green sax.  :D

Old Greenhorn

After careful consideration and some searching on Google, I am going to go with Adries FIL's hearing aid too. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 28, 2023, 06:40:21 PM
A Doctor Seuss Peace pipe or a green sax.  :D

Not a sax, but you're seeing it, soo close  :)
 That is the flower, not quite open. It is a vine.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, actually I am thinking it was some kind of "pipe" name like moose pipe, horn pipe (no wait, that's a fiddle tune) or something like that. Let me ask you this was it growing up out of the ground where a long rotten log was laying> I think we have that around her at just certain higher elevations and it is a protected and rare plant. I have seen it twice in the wild.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Is it 'Indian pipe'? I have never seen it green and don't even think it has a green state, so probably that's wrong too.

Don P

We do get indian pipe around in the woods pretty often, it's white. This is a vine and is rare here at least. 
This is dutchman's pipe;
Aristolochia macrophylla (Broadleafed Birthwort, Dutchman's Pipe, Pipevine, Wild Ginger) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox (ncsu.edu)

If you don't read the link do be aware there was big red ink at the top
Every part of it is high severity poison 

Ljohnsaw

Jack in the Pulpit?

Nevermind. My page wasn't refreshed and I missed Don's answer.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

So Don, you're saying it's probably not a good thing to throw in your stir fry? :D ;D Sure looks tasty.

Andries

Since I was born in the Netherlands, I'd be the only one having a smoke on that pipe?  @Don P do I remember correctly that your wife was of Dutch background? Hopefully not something to be handled without pulling on the welders gloves!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Don P

I got a pic of the vine, several blooms and leaves a minute ago;

That shimmer underfoot is a wet weather spring, it rained yesterday. I'm below where Michelle saw the first vine. It is rolling down the watershed and wanting to get out of hand, its going away.

Magicman

Here is a nice one:

Leaves in the sun.

Leaves in the shade.

Tree stem.

Closer picture of the bark.  I regret that I did not crush a few leaves and get a nice odor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

Just between the 2 of us and your comment it looks like sweet bay to me but I don't remember the flower  :).

Magicman

Did you check/compare the bark?

Don P

Uh-oh... my secret weapon walked by and said "dunno", I'm done  :D

caveman

Caveman

Magicman

It could be either but I say Blackgum. 

Blackgum is my favorite tree in the Fall because it is the first to show it's bright red colors.

Thank You Sponsors!