iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the name of this tool?

Started by esarratt, July 03, 2020, 12:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

What is the name of these timber wrenches?  I've never seen them before.

Where can I get specs to make one?  It seems like they would be useful for turning timber without marring the surface like a peavey.

Thank you!

Ljohnsaw

You named them - Timber Wrenches!  I would think just make them from plywood - the more layers the better.  You would need to make a set for standard size timbers (like 6, 8, 10 and 12").  I've thought about making an "adjustable" one.  It would have a jaw on one side that would be something like a 2x4 with a dado cut in the flat side. Glued in place so there is a bigger surface (less marring of the timber).  For the top jaw, same thing but not glued in place.  Make a selection of different thicknesses to adjust the wrench for different size timbers.  I also think you would need to have two, working at 90° to each other with two people so you can maintain control (for big timbers).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

Yup, looks like some heavy duty plywood and a good jigsaw would soon sort you out with a set of tools like that. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logman

See that mortise, stick a 2x4 in there and use that to turn it.  I use my cant hook on the ends if needed where it gets cut off until I get a couple mortises in there.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

esarratt

Quote from: logman on July 03, 2020, 07:36:06 AM
See that mortise, stick a 2x4 in there and use that to turn it.  I use my cant hook on the ends if needed where it gets cut off until I get a couple mortises in there.
Excellent idea!  Thank you!

esarratt

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 03, 2020, 02:17:22 AM
You named them - Timber Wrenches!  I would think just make them from plywood - the more layers the better.  You would need to make a set for standard size timbers (like 6, 8, 10 and 12").  I've thought about making an "adjustable" one.  It would have a jaw on one side that would be something like a 2x4 with a dado cut in the flat side. Glued in place so there is a bigger surface (less marring of the timber).  For the top jaw, same thing but not glued in place.  Make a selection of different thicknesses to adjust the wrench for different size timbers.  I also think you would need to have two, working at 90° to each other with two people so you can maintain control (for big timbers).
Nice.  Thank you.  I had not considered adjustable.

esarratt

For an adjustable option, what about two pieces of wood on one side with holes at various locations?  Carriage bolts and wing nuts in the holes at different locations would make it adjustable for different sized timbers.

Hilltop366

I've never tried it but I bet if the saw horses had a V notch in it with a depth equal to ½ the timber size the beam would roll like a round log.

Perhaps a 3½" deep notch with the top of the V rounded would work with a range of sizes, would be interesting to try.

Brad_bb

Rolling 8x8's is really no problem by hand.  It's tie beams and beams larger than 8x8 that you need some assistance.  Here's an old thread that might give you some info.  

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=36850.msg536480#msg536480
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

EOTE

I made mine from a couple pieces of angle iron and rectangular tubing.  This is for 8" x 8".  It made it easier for my wife to turn them while painting them.  We called it a beam wrench but I like timber wrench better.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!