iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Walnut Beast, November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Anybody have a triple axle 30k gooseneck? How do you like it ? Movin  on up to a 40k trailer. 26k machine on a 30k trailer isn't going to cut it at least legally 

Walnut Beast

Well the guys that have them really like them but a little harder on the tires. After some messages back and forth with one of the owners of Diamond C on his opinion he said he thought the 216 tandem 40k trailer would be a better way to go as it weighs a little less and gives a little extra payload. That was a opinion of another guy hauling a 26 k machine around  on a 216 just fine but he said he also had the 312 pintle on order for the dump truck 

Walnut Beast

The 312 and 216 come standard with the adjustable Telescoupler with 3" ball hitch. Here is a picture of it and a 312

hedgerow

When I get up in that 26,000 pound range I get the lowboy with air breaks and the semi hooked to the front of it. My old Cat track loader is in that range and I like the air brakes stopping it. I do have pintle hitch trailer with twenty thousand pound axles with electric brakes but I like the old lowboy with air breaks better. Good luck with the new trailer purchase. 

Walnut Beast

Lots of guys hauling 26k and more day in and day out with pickup and are extremely happy and several also have semi outfits that are the hotshot guys. No complaints with disc brake stopping power. That's why they are making them and the demand is there. 3 to 4 month out on a new one. No desire for the semi unless it's stretched and converted to flatbed with beaver tail. They are slick. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: hedgerow on May 08, 2022, 12:58:53 PM
When I get up in that 26,000 pound range I get the lowboy with air breaks and the semi hooked to the front of it. My old Cat track loader is in that range and I like the air brakes stopping it. I do have pintle hitch trailer with twenty thousand pound axles with electric brakes but I like the old lowboy with air breaks better. Good luck with the new trailer purchase.
That's probably the smartest move when I just priced a 40k gooseneck 35' with 60" spread at 54k and November dealer delivery. Was like 6-8k off list now it's 1k for everyone. Crazy!!

Walnut Beast

The guy that came to plck the pt 300 said he paid 60k for truck and trailers during the pandemic. Granted he bought the truck from his neighbor so a little better deal. The trail king trailer was sandblasted and painted 

hedgerow

Walnut Beast  For our little operation it always made since to have a lowboy as we have semi tractors around to haul grain. When I had cattle I wore out a one ton pickup hauling cattle. Then we went with a semi hauling cattle also. I went to a detach probably 15-20 years ago. The equipment had gotten bigger around here so a lot of people we getting three and four axle detach's so some nice two axles came up for sale. I bought a two axle on a state auction that had be used by the game and parks and never pulled in the winter. It did have spoke wheels and tube type tires. I switched it to tubeless and put a pony motor on it to run the hyd. Sold my old lowboy with ramps to another farmer. He still has it today. 

barbender

I'm trying to find a happy medium of what I can pull with my one ton Dodge. A full load on my 14K GN is plenty. I hauled my skidder on it a few times, it is 17K, with a lot of weight on the front it weighs out 15K on the trailer axles. That's a big load. Sure I can get a bigger trailer and haul more, but there comes a point where it is better to go to a heavier duty truck, I think. You start working these 350-400 hp pickups to the edge of their capabilites, life span is going to go way down. There's a reason that a heavy truck engine putting out that much horsepower is way bigger. I think a C13 Cat is usually around 400 hp, an M11 cummins 300-350. These pickup engines wouldn't make it long if you swapped one into a class 6-8 truck, replacing an engine of the same horsepower.

Another thing you'll see, when an engine like the B5.9 or ISB 6.7 Cummins is used anywhere other than pickups, it is detuned about 30-40% so it had longevity. Sure they can make that much horsepower and hold up ok when it is being driven by a dumb kid just out spinning their tires, but when you hook a for real load up behind them and work them day in and day out it's a different story.
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

You guys are exactly right. I'm going to start looking to go that direction for the 26k mulcher. Then it opens it up if I need to haul the 35k machine. The neighbor friend that has done excavation all his life has this Hyster trailer that I might see if he wants to sell cheap. Then I could fix it up or just get one ready to go. Barbender I'll sell you my Diamond C. It retails on their build site now for 48k. You good for 40k 😂

barbender

Hoo-whee! I'll see what I can come up with😁
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!