iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction

Started by jkmjr, January 31, 2021, 04:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkmjr

New member here. I found FF while researching mills and have enjoyed reading numerous topics. Hopefully, I can contribute at some point but for now I will be full of questions. I own several hundred acres in SW Ms. and owning a mill has never really been something I have considered. With the recent trend in lumber prices it is pretty much a no-brainer. Anyway, I could go on and on but my "big" question is how much mill do I need. I will not be using the mill to generate $$$ just milling lumber to use around the farm. We always have some type of project going and there always seems to be more downed trees than we can cut for firewood and tons of SYP from heavy winds. What they are paying for SYP vs. what we pay at the store should be a crime, but that's a thread for itself.

I've reached out to Magic Man as he is local and hopefully can share some insight. I would like to witness some mills in action to try and get a feel for size. I think it may be a good idea to get some trees milled at my farm and take part in the process to really know which direction to go.

I read about the Paul Bunyan show that is scheduled for Oct. Does anybody know of any other places I may could see several mills in one spot. I travel a lot so a road trip just about anywhere would not be a problem.  

I will be back soon with more questions, thanks!

trimguy

Sounds like you already put thought into it. Good. Magic man will be able to answer any of your questions. Just know that it will take experience to make it look as easy as he does. Good luck with your decision on what kind of mill. And welcome to the forum.

thecfarm

jkmjr, welcome to the forum.
You said around the farm, so I suppose you have a tractor? You will need support equipment for the mill. First you need to get the logs out of the woods. Than you need to remove the sawdust and the slabs away from the mill. Than you will need to move the stacks of wood away from the mill. A couple cantdogs or peaveys from Logrite, sponsor on the left, nice tools, nice people.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jkmjr

Understood on the support equipment. Got a couple of tractors and front end loaders so that will help me out a good bit.

Magicman

jkmjr lives only ~10 miles from me so we can work out a time schedule when he is off from work and I am sawing because there is no equal to hands on. 

His son and my grandson Ben played baseball together with Marty coaching so we have much in common.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Patrick NC

Welcome to the forum. Having someone like Magicman show you the ropes will be a huge help. Keep us posted on your progress. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

samandothers

Welcome to the forum!  You are connected with a great resource.  MM may know some other folks in the area that saw are have different mills.  As thecfarm indicated you will need some Logrite cant hooks and MM will have those too.  

Thank You Sponsors!