The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: RV Trippin'  (Read 3868 times)

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: RV Trippin'
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »
I think you will find me pretty much the same way with a sometimes dark sense of humor (born from my fire and EMS days).
 Actually today is a great day to call as I am laying low trying to get the pain out of my back. I have to get cutting some mushroom logs for an order this week, but no way can I think of that today.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »
Got an answer back from the Museum. They are discussing adding to the summer hours (just for you) and he expects they will add Wednesday's shortly. That would be the 22nd. Let's see how it all plays out.
 Also, I just went out and checked the RV outlet box I installed in the driveway over 30 years ago. My son mentioned that it has not been usable for a while. Sure enough, I tracked back to some wiring changes in the shop that messed up that circuit and I never noticed it. (The original wiring is a nightmare and I am always finding and correcting errors I find.)  It's fed by an old box with plug fuses, so I have to go fetch some, but it will be back up and running. Hopefully you can live with 20 amps of 220v. If not, I have another plan. (There is always another plan.)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2022, 12:51:35 PM »
Stephen1- Thank you for the notes! We do plan on 2 days at any of the few "big" stops, I'm figuring the same an afternoon to get settled in a location, a day to see the sights, then sleep in the same place, so we aren't moving too much. 

I've also planned as much backroad driving as possible and taken navigation times and usually added an hour+ to them. I'm a big fan of seeing something weird or neat and slamming on the brakes to stop and check it out. 

OGH- Aww, sweet to the museum! Don't stress about power and the like. We've got the onboard generator if needed. I'm not positive what all needs the rv needs as far as 20amp, I can't imagine we'll do much other than charge phones and run the lights. There isn't a TV or anything in there, though my kids may have something to watch a movie on or something. You're the man! I'll give you a call in a few hours.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2022, 12:54:18 PM »
I forgot to mention that I also have a couple of WiFi spots you can access, one is in the shop about 30' from your spot, so the kiddos should be good on that score.

Offline JD Guy

• I'm new here!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2022, 07:53:08 PM »
   Heartily agree with @sawguy21 .
   If you push too hard everyone will be miserable.....guaranteed 😬. Depending on your families habits try to get up in time to have some breakfast and break camp by 0900. You may need to dump tanks so allow time for that. 
   We are retired so don't push each day as long as we once did so about 300 miles is tops for us these days. We like to stop between 3-5 in the afternoon and get setup while there's plenty of daylight then stretch our legs (and the dogs), happy hour and some dinner. 
   Also suggest you plan your itinerary (very important) around that time frame or less depending on how good of travelers your family members are. Make reservations in advance  for your overnights (longer if you intend to stay for awhile in the area).
   Often campgrounds fill up quickly and the last thing that you want to do is be driving late with everyone tired and unable to find a campsite. Ask me how I know these things 😳. With some planning and a realistic time frame and schedule you can make a vacation to remember for the entire family!! Happy Camping!
    PS; You will not make the same average miles per hour in a camper due to fuel and potty stops plus you cannot safely drive as fast as you might normally due in your regular vehicle. 

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2022, 06:40:11 AM »
Thanks JD Guy! So far our biggest driving day will be from the Detroit area to Four Mile Creek State Park, near Niagara Falls, clocking in at ~390 miles, with the average day's drive of 290, mostly backroads (for better or worse). I've got all overnights booked at this point other than one or two coming from OGH's place heading home. Now that I've got those couple days nailed down I hope to find something on the path back without much trouble but we'll see how that goes. Rest areas would be fine if they have to be. I'm already looking forward to Happy Hour!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2022, 09:45:08 PM »
We've made it to stop one! Pulled in at about 830p. Beautiful!

Oh yeah! Story of my life will be road trips plagued with very, very heavy rains. We snuck out in front of this one by maybe a half hour or so and stayed dry! Good sign! We listened to the radio talking about 60-70 mph winds, at home, and hail and lots of people without power. I'll take it for once!

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2022, 07:41:03 AM »
Well, today is Tuesday, so you must be headed to the Ford Museum. Have a great time! It's June. so expect some afternoon showers as you head east. I don't see any all day rain events in the next week, but that can change. The forecast here is for some Monday night rain and some rain on Tuesday, but that can change a lot in a few days. The maritime Museum did add to their summer hours just this week and will be open on Wednesday's now. Your call if you want to slip that in before you leave town. Drive safe and enjoy the ride. Looks to me like you are settling into it just fine. :D :)

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
Yup! Ford museum was very neat, unfortunately the Greenfield Village was just open to wandering, none of the buildings were open but it was still cool.

I was seeing rain on Thursday for Niagara falls, hopefully that's changed but we'll be alright even if not.

I think we're a yes for the maritime museum, we've got a short drive for Wednesday nights camping, so we can stay in your neck of the woods until afternoonish. 

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2022, 05:51:23 PM »
That should work. If I get a spare minute during business hours I will give them a call to find out what's going on and see if my buddy on the Board might be there.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2022, 10:15:56 PM »
I dropped an email to my buddy and he just replied and asked when we would be there. I took a good guess and he says he will try to be there and maybe give us a tour of the museum. Unfortunately the Solaris (one of their tour boats, solar powered) is not running on Wednesday's except for private booked tours. I know he Captains that boat some times, but I don't think it's available or he would have hinted at that. Anyway. Lets see how it goes and take it as it comes.
 The last time I walked through that museum was in '94 and it has come from the 18th to the 21st century since that time. I am looking forward to this.
 I hope this fits into your plans.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2022, 06:02:41 PM »
Sounds great!

Today was Niagara Falls. It's been good and hot everywhere so far but the good part isn't so much good. We got cooled down in cave of the winds, then I paid 87 dollars for lunch. 

Niagara Falls is neat, it's amazing how much water there can be. I'll try to upload some photos when I have a solid signal. 

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »
Really?! Hot up there hah? Never got over 70 here today and it looked like you had showers pass through a few times so I figured it would cool off quite a bit. We may have a little rain here Tuesday afternoon. Too soon to tell.
 Y'all are on the road again tomorrow for a few hours, right?

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2022, 09:31:30 PM »
Yeah it was 80+ and didn't rain until we were heading back to the campsite. Then it got hot again.

Here's some Niagara Falls! 

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2022, 09:35:34 PM »
The view from our campground was pretty nice too. Four Mile Creek State Park Campground. That's lake Ontario. 

If you looked close you could see Toronto, but the better pictures are on my good camera. 

There's some pretty big critter in the middle of the tree on this, it looked too big to be anything but a small bear but I don't know... 

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »
Tonight, after what felt like a billion hour drive, we made it to Piseco Lake, in the middle of New York. Little Sands Campground. Also very pretty, we're just here for the night then off to New Hampshire tomorrow. I didn't have a camera on me when it was still light out.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »
OK, after reading this and yesterday's text messages, I had to go look it up. Yeah, when you said you like to stay off the beaten path you weren't kidding. No wonder it took a lot of driving. You must have gone right through Booneville! Too bad it's not 2 months later.
 OTOH, you did see a lot of nice country. :D Now you're going to have another long one to get down to the Thruway this morning. You have a long drive today too.
 It will be interesting to hear your stories when you get here. If long drives and lost wallets are the only issues, you are doing well!

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2022, 08:44:01 PM »
We left Piseco at about 1030 this morning and finally arrived in New Hampshire at about 830p. That was after a lunch that took about 2 hours and hitting the laundromat. Not bad but I'm exhausted.

Our view, but again it's dark. 

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2022, 09:06:23 PM »
I hope you guys have warm clothes and the heater in your rig works. The high for tomorrow is 35° up top if I read it right. I see they are calling for snow showers also. It only hit 60 here today with a lot of wind. Tomorrow might hit 70 with more wind.
 Enjoy the ride!

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2022, 09:11:23 PM »
I'm not sure if the kids packed well enough but we'll see! It'll be neat if we get snow! Heater does indeed work very well, it's on now! 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter