iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Key fob separation from vehicle when parked at home?

Started by gspren, May 12, 2022, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I've heard you shouldn't keep the key-fob hanging in the garage with your vehicle or it will kill the fob batteries staying connected, how far apart do you need to keep it? In particular I'd like to keep the fob for my Harley trike in the same pole building where the trike is for convenience sake but don't want to kill the battery. @Raider Bill with your trike or other Harleys do you have the fob or regular key?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

GRANITEstateMP

When I worked at the Toyota dealer, we told people to not leave key fobs for push button start vehicles too close because they would constantly try and communicate. Usually, a wall, or just far enough away that they won't work is safe. They are just small watch batts, and it didn't take much to drain them.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Raider Bill

The trike has a fob. New fangled gadget for me.
Never gave it a thought. Mine is kept 40 feet sway inside the house.
I do keep it on the trike when riding in a pouch.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Key fob has remained in the vehicle when it is in the garage, for the last 13 years. Don't recall ever having to change out the battery. Maybe once, if at all. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Our FOBs live in the vehicles when they're in our yard.  Never had an issue with a dead battery yet.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Nebraska

Hmmm all my crap is so old it's got regular keys. :)

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Cornerstone

My Harley fob has to be within 6-8 feet to allow the bike to start.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

low_48

Quote from: beenthere on May 12, 2022, 08:54:44 PM
Key fob has remained in the vehicle when it is in the garage, for the last 13 years. Don't recall ever having to change out the battery. Maybe once, if at all.
A 13 year old fob is far different than one made this year.

Ljohnsaw

My son's 2010 Prius "sees" the fob when your about 3' from one of its antennas.  There is one by each front door handle and one for the lift gate.  Then inside there are 2 or 3 more short range ones.  I know how close you have to be to the outside ones because I forgot and had a fob in my pocket at night.  Each time I walked by the car, the dome light would come on.  So then I started playing a little game to see how well defined the areas were.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

My 07 Toyota Blade probably uses the same system.  Low level overhead and footwell lights come on when you walk up.  Battery life on the fab seems OK, but we leave a spare battery in the glove box anyway. The backup mechanical key will unlock the door, but you need a live fob to start it.  Lil's Xio is the same. Both are higher spec Japanese market versions, so have some of the Lexus grade stuff, even if it's from 15 years ago. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

GRANITEstateMP

Ianab, in an emergency, with a dead fob batt, once your in the car, hold the fob over the start button, then push it. It may work 1 time, it may work 50 times, but when yoj get to that point you really need a fob batt!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

aigheadish

I'm pretty sure I got a low battery warning for my fob a few days ago, but haven't seen it again. Seems like maybe I should replace them. I probably drain it some, additionally, from using it to roll down the windows (hold unlock) as I walk up to the car. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

jb616

Quote from: Nebraska on May 12, 2022, 10:41:07 PM
Hmmm all my crap is so old it's got regular keys. :)
Just sold my '91 GMC that i owned for 30 years....didn't even have drink holders, now THAT'S OLD!  8)

Old saw fixer

My 1992 GMC has no fob, but you need two keys.  One for the doors and one for the switch.  2003 Subaru Forester fob locks/unlocks doors only, and generally doesn't work at all in built up areas for some reason, even with new battery.
Wife has the fancy car 2018 Santa Fe Sport.  Memory seats and outside mirrors etc.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old saw fixer on May 13, 2022, 02:47:16 PMMemory seats and outside mirrors etc.
Cool.  You sit down and it does a rectal scan and adjusts for you?;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

My wife's new Subaru detects the fob when you are about 20 feet away. If it's dark the lights all come on and you can set it to unlock the drivers door also. When you sit in the drivers seat it scans you eyeballs and automatically  adjusts  the seat, mirrors,  music, and temperature according  to who is driving. It scared us at first but now that we have used it a while we love it. Yes we did buy the extended  warranty 🤯.
They say don't store the fob near the car for best battery life.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Erik A

If the fob battery is supposed to last longer away from the car how would it know to go to a "low power mode" with out constantly scanning for a signal to see if it is close to the car?

I guess it could just listen but not transmit to save battery life? 

Disregard this post, just late night rambling!!

Erik A

The wife's 15 Lexus while locked with the fob maybe 50 feet away, started raising the rear hatch, maybe 15 to 20 seconds later, would close it, then do it again a minute or two later. I thought great, what do we have to do, go to the dealer with the rear hatch going up and down going down the highway!

Called the dealer and they said we need to bring it in. Did some online investigating, and found the fob need the battery replaced!

Stupid dealer!

Then a month ago, it decided to lock the doors while the fob was inside it!

Another low battery issue! She does not trust closing the doors with the fob in it any more!

Old saw fixer

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 13, 2022, 02:53:18 PM
Quote from: Old saw fixer on May 13, 2022, 02:47:16 PMMemory seats and outside mirrors etc.
Cool.  You sit down and it does a rectal scan and adjusts for you?;)
LOL!  No, two buttons on the door.  #1 and #2.  1 is set for the owner and 2 is set for my taller, fatter body.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

sawguy21

I am trying to get used to this newfangled technology. I dropped a friend at the airport and brought her 2019 Kia to her home rather than pay to store it at the airport. Stopped at Walmart then couldn't start the DanG thing. I hadn't pressed the brake pedal ::) I am definitely not a fan of this gee whiz gosh golly bling but guess I will have to get used to it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

I believe that none of these thoughts apply to the old key fobs where you pushed a button to lock or unlock the doors, they only communicated when you pushed the button, these new fobs that can stay in your pocket are where things get weird. In some Google searching I see where thieves can boost and or relay the signal to open or start your vehicle while the fob is still in your possession, in certain areas people store the fob in a special pouch or box to block the signal, weird! 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

kantuckid

Both of our vehicles are FoMoCo-2015 F-150 w/key start and 2019 Lincoln Nautilus w/push button start. I always leave my key or fob in house at home and inside the vehicle and lock the door away from home as I dislike the big pricey fobs in my pocket.
 Fords all have the coded door locks on the driver side pillar. No garage factor here, just a gravel driveway and fobs and keys last OK over many, many vehicles. I built Euro wrecks for years and lots of them had push start and rarely bought a battery for anything. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!