iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished another garbage can graphic

Started by Brad_bb, December 12, 2022, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Finished my 4th garbage can.  It's fun and creative and practical in that no one can steal my can and claim it was an accident.  I use Sharpie Paint Pens and I find vector images on the web, black and white images like these, and use a  pounce wheel tool to go over all the lines to punch small holes and then you pounce powder on to leave a dotted image.  I'll say it doesn't work great.  You're hand hurts after a bit using the tool and some places the holes aren't good enough to let powder through, so there's a good bit of free hand and eye balling.  I'd like to find a better way, like someone with plotter that can make the holes, or cut out the black or white of the image.  I picked movie tough guys like Lee van cleef, Bruce Lee, Clint Eastwood, Chuck Norris, Tony Montana etc, and horse images to modify.  Still a bunch to do.  What I'd really like to learn is to paint Vargas Girls (like those painted on WWII planes).
Here's the latest one, another Bruce Lee:

This is the one before, a different Bruce Lee.

Clint before that "Dirty Harry".

The one before that was a really spot on one of one of our Gypsy Mares.  I used a vector image of another horse and modified it to look like ours, with correct markings, hip shape and all.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Prizl tha Chizl

That's awesome, Brad.
Those images look like they'd lend well to stenciling. I've cut a number of them, using an x acto knife it doesn't take any longer than drawing and then you have an easy way to duplicate them. I can even see you opening up a side line in custom celeb "toughs" totes. :D
"The Woods Is My Church"

WV Sawmiller

Some people collect bottle caps, others baseball cards, others beer cans, Pez containers, coins, etc. Our Brad engraves trash cans. ::) :D

What is the story behind your trash can art? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Wow cant wait to see the Vargas girls.
I grew up panting over the picture of them in True Magazine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

I have never used a "cricket" but nurses at work have made great pro looking t-shirts custom designed.  I think it is like a printer, but cuts vinyl.  can be used as a stencil.  makes it easier to do exact copies of the art.  can be the vinyl itself, vs a stencil if you think others would just peel them off. 

Pete, I originally though you said, "paint over them", I was like "WHAT"    :o :o :o   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Brad if pilots or crews could do it, I am sure you can.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

Just to clear up what doc said it is spelled Cricut. Makes it easier to search for. My wife had work buy her one and it works great. Cuts more than just vinyl and can be used for lots of arts and crafts.

I recently started having a bunch of fun with my laser engraver. Cutting paper is very easy to make stencils. Then you could just tape it onto the can and hit it with some spray paint. 

I have wondered about cutting vinyl using the laser. Not sure if it would burn it to much to be seperated or if it would work? One day I may try a sample and see what I get. Be nice to have my own vinyl cutter.

Brad_bb

The story is, the construction guys here use the same type of cans, but theirs are all beat up and used as a circular saw cutting table. So they would take my new perfect condition cans when they left the job. Then they wouldn't admit to it when you called them up.  So I wanted to differentiate mine so there was no question. The picture of our mare is one of the garbage cans in the barn.  Two of the others are in my shop and one is out in the pole barn where I'm going to be Milling.  I just thought all the tough guy images looked cool.  I am going to do another horse one for the barn.
Before I started the paintings, I wrote out the Liam Neeson speech from taken on one can.  something like " I don't know what you want, I don't have money, but what I do have is a very particular set of skills. Skills honed over a long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave this Can alone, that will be the end of it, I will not pursue you. But if you take it, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you!".

Brad_bb

Alberto Vargas worked creating art for the entertainment industry.  During the war, he painted 180 pinups for Esquire magazine.  These were the inspiration for the air crews.

I thought I had read in the past that he was in the Military during the war and painting for the military including some plane art.  I do not see anything about that on Wiki though, so I can't confirm that.

doc henderson

thanks, crusarius.  i do not have one but have thought about it.  Brad i think you once told me I had sand for recutting a slab that had fence wire in it.  I guess you are tough too.  Maybe a nuclear radiation symbol and warning, if you take this can, it could kill you.   :)

SawyerTed

Brad that's a cool talent and an interesting way to keep up with trash cans.  

I once resorted to labeling things with, " WARNING: Blood sucking lice and festering pustules will infect unauthorized users." That worked pretty well. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

aigheadish

Looks great Brad! 

My wife also has a Cricut and they do seem pretty sweet. She makes purses and uses them to cut fabric and stencils and iron-ons. Similar to a laser or cnc but smaller and pretty versatile. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

YellowHammer

That's pretty cool.  I have absolutely zero artistic ability, I can't even paint a wall.  Much respect to you! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

Ted, could you add, "if this occurs do not go to the emergency department, do not go past go, do not collect 200 dollars  & go directly to jail."!!   :snowball:

21incher

Wow what a great job. Most people just paint the address on them. I hope no one steals them.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DDW_OR

how about silkscreen process

it is used for more than fabric.
"let the machines do the work"

Brad_bb

Just did this one last week.  I found a bit easier way.  I bought carbon paper on Amazon and some metal stylus.  I tape the carbon paper to the can, then tape the image over top and trace the lines with the stylus. It makes for a much clearer image to work with on the can.  You still have to be careful around details such as the eyes.  Get off with your paint pen and it won't look right.  

Brad_bb

Thank You Sponsors!