iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heated Gloves?

Started by stavebuyer, October 07, 2023, 06:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Anyone care to share their experiences with battery powered heated gloves? 

Walnut Beast

A friend had the heated motorcycle gloves that he used for hunting and loved them

https://www.popsci.com/gear/best-heated-gloves/

B.C.C. Lapp

I'd try them if they looked like they could hold up to work long enough not to be to expensive.  I have problems with left hand in the cold.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

NE Woodburner

I assume you are asking about work gloves? I use battery heated gloves for snowmobiling. The brand is Volt. They are good leather gloves even without the heat, but more of a riding glove than a work glove. I don't know if Volt makes a work glove but I am happy with riding gloves. I have two sets of batteries and if riding all day at a high setting I do need to change them. I could have bought a set that could be wired to the snowmobile electrical system but did not want to have another "tether" to the sled.

SwampDonkey

I could see if a guy was a machine operator and no heated cab, the hands could start to sting a bit in 10F degree weather with thin gloves on. But on the end of a saw or an axe cutting firewood I never had cold hands or cold feet. And as far as footwear I wear logger boots with no insulation except a heavy wool sock. My saw gloves in the cold are goat skin, waterproof with a thin insulation only really rated for 32F cold. But I wear them in teens and twenties weather just fine. My summer goatskin ones are not warm enough though, no heat on the saw grips either. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stavebuyer

A huge difference between what someone needs to wear running a saw or splitting axe versus riding a motorcycle or sitting motionless in a deer stand. Humidity and sunshine also play a huge role. A calm, sunny, dry winter day in the teens is much comfortable than a 40-degree cloudy day on the gulf coast.

Corley5

This will be my 3rd winter with Milwaukee tools electric gloves. They use the 3ah batteries that their flashlights, and headlamps use. They wear fairly well. I use them running the firewood machine and doing snow relocation. Not real heavy use but well used. I wouldn't wear them pulling cable and setting chokers. I've worn out the first pair. It took a winter and a half. Batteries last a couple hours on a charge maybe a bit less on high heat. Much longer on the lowest setting but high is what I normally run them on. It takes a couple hours total to run a load of wood and the batteries last just about that long. I bought a 2nd pair a year ago and have extra batteries as we have a few of the lights. But... They've been discontinued. I was going to get a pair of Volt's like these  WORK Men 7v Leather Heated Gloves 👷🏽‍♂️ 👨‍🌾 ❄️ - Volt Heat  with a couple extra batteries. Then I came across an Ebay seller with a stock of NOS Milwaukees and ordered a couple pair for not much more than a pair of the Volts with two extra batteries. Each Milwaukee kit comes with two batteries, chargers, and cords. They should be here tomorrow and will last me a couple more years. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 03, 2023, 03:39:07 AM
I could see if a guy was a machine operator and no heated cab, the hands could start to sting a bit in 10F degree weather with thin gloves on. But on the end of a saw or an axe cutting firewood I never had cold hands or cold feet. And as far as footwear I wear logger boots with no insulation except a heavy wool sock. My saw gloves in the cold are goat skin, waterproof with a thin insulation only really rated for 32F cold. But I wear them in teens and twenties weather just fine. My summer goatskin ones are not warm enough though, no heat on the saw grips either. :D
Never had an issue using a chainsaw while wearing lightly insulated gloves in 10-15˚F weather until I mashed up my finger. While it looks OK, the circulation and nerves must have been damaged. It gets cold easily, but I can't feel it when it happens. I have to remember to check regularly. Wearing the chemical heaters in my gloves has allowed me to continue working in the winter.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

No need to suffer in the cold out there working. Do what needs doing to alleviate it. Some of us are just more tolerant, or make more steam. ;)

My dad could wear a ball cap in January on an open air skidder or tractor with wind. Not me, my ears would freeze off. And once you freeze something once it will be all the more intolerant to cold. January up here is well below freezing, more like teens or subzero F. On these old hills the wind always blows at some point in the day. Just have to ask anyone that lives here. :D

My dad was always saying during the cold season, when we had to work on something outside, 'you can't do anything with mittens on'. One tough old coot.  ::) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 04, 2023, 02:30:23 AMNo need to suffer in the cold out there working. Do what needs doing to alleviate it. Some of us are just more tolerant, or make more steam

The rest of me actually prefers the cold. It's just the end of that one finger I have to watch for. It's the heat I can't take. I'll work in 90˚F (32˚C) if I have to, but I'm pretty slow at that temperature, and I'm glad that I generally don't have to. My mother was exactly the same way (though at 92, she's not quite as nuts about hanging out for extended periods in sub freezing weather as she was a decade ago.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

tawilson

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Thank You Sponsors!