iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A car needs a carport

Started by firefighter ontheside, November 14, 2023, 03:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

My son got his drivers license about 6 weeks ago.  I decided his parking spot should be under a roof, so I added a lean to carport to the sawmill carport.  I think it turned out pretty well and it will also help me out when milling to have a little more covered area.  Most of the time that I'm milling he is gone to school, so I can make use of the carport to park a trailer or whatever I am moving lumber around with that day.  I bought 2 1/2"x2 1/2" galvanized metal that matches the original carport to make rafters that are sistered to the original trusses.  Then I made a beam from some treated 2x6 I had and finally posts from 4x4 red cedar that I had milled.  My wife says I may be spoiling him because now he won't have to scrape frost off the car to go to school.  I figure there will be plenty of opportunity for that when he goes away to college in a few years.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

also teaching him to take care of his stuff.  nice build.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

I take it you don't see much for snow loads.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

I was thinking the same thing. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

firefighter ontheside

Well, I didn't do any calculations.  This part of MO is in the 20lb/sqft.  Not a huge load.  I used the same steel that the original carport was built from and at the same pitch.  I assume its about 2/12 pitch.  It will be fine.  We get less snow every year it seems.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

Does the rain water drain to the ends, or down the slope to the short side? Hard to tell from the 2nd pic. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

With the roofing tin ribs running that direction if you do get significant snow it has no chance of sliding off.....

firefighter ontheside

The roofing runs opposite the direction of the slope, so for the most part the water drains to the front.  I sloped it that way about an inch.  Normally I wouldn't do that but that's the way these manufactued carports are made and I was adding onto it.  The big carport has the roofing running from top to bottom, but I paid extra for that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!