iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storm hits nortwest states & B.C./Nasty storm

Started by leweee, December 15, 2006, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Paul said yesterday they were expecting a brutal one with high winds. I remember some bad ones up in Prince Rupert. Then, some nut pilot thinks it's fun to fly in it. 3 Hours out and 20 minutes back, tossed around like a toy. Thank goodness for seat belts and cargo straps.  One moment your stomach is heading for the ceiling the next your butt is heading toward the floor. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The last time Paul was on was Yesterday at 11:34:42 PM  :-\   I hope we see something from him soon.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

inspectorwoody

Heard from a bunch of guys from that area and it is pretty bad. Lots of trees down on houses etc. Most of them are on generator power and will be for 4-5 days. Few people have been killed. Most of them were able to get out today and do some cutting etc. Most of the roads are still blocked etc.

caryr

No real damage at my place other than a lot of trees down! I spent over an hour cutting my way home last night at the height of the storm. Trust me, it was no fun! One eye on the saw and the other making sure nothing else was heading my way. I also spent over an hour cutting my way out this morning. There are still two more large DF trees to get out of the way before my wifes vehicle can go anywhere. I'll try to post some pictures later, but to give you an idea these are 100'+ trees, some over 2' DBH and root balls sticking 8' up in the air. It'll probably be a few weeks before I fully asses the damage to the forest since I'm so busy with work right now.

Oh, and we only lost power for about an hour! The benefit of underground utilities in tree country.

Well that's the quick report.

Cary

Bill

Some pic's on the news showed waves crashing the coast, trees - big 'uns - all over the place  as in horizontal and into all sorts of buildings, and planes piled up together like cord wood.

Prayers go out to those there . . .

sawguy21

It has been nasty here. Southern Vancouver Island has taken the hardest hit but there are broken trees and downed powerlines everywhere. We have been so busy selling saws and generators we cannot keep the shelves full. The linemen and arborists are coming in dragging their arses from lack of sleep. One customer said the seaward side of his Gulf Islands home is covered with salt from the waves  :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

You guys hang on.  I wish you the best, knowing that you have a hard clean-up ahead.

Wasn't Paul going to see his daughter and grandson to the east?   He might have exited in front of the storm.

Jeff

SwampDonkey

He wouldn't dare leave this time of the year. Pipes would freeze up if there were no power and no one around to get a generator or heater stove fired up.

I got his phone number, but I can't do nothing being 4000 miles away.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Donk, does it cost you to call him?  Shoot me his number in a PM, I cant find it anywhere. 

Onthesauk

We just got our power back after being out for about two days, a big tree across the lines down on the highway about a mile away, totally cut all the lines there.  I have a lot of trees down but mostly from the snow storm two weeks ago.  Went out and hiked a little yesterday and see surprisingly little new damage, think we missed the worst of it.  They are talking about folks SE of Seattle being without power for up to three weeks.  I'm NE of Seattle about 80 miles and tucked back in the mountains so most of the wind went over us.
Anxious to see the news tonight for our first real reports.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Jeff do you have dial around service? That's what Paul and I use. Then it's $0.05 a minute. Here's the access number, I'll send ya the phone number in IM as requested. Works in the US also.

10-10-925 then dial as you would long distance.

Jeff

I just got off the phone with Paul and they were spared the brutal weather where he is at however they are without internet, probably due to the storm. He didn't head east yet as they have to watch the weather due to the mountain passes they have to transverse. It was a big relief to have the phone pick up and here the little girl laughter in the background as Carla went to get Paul to come to the phone. :)

SwampDonkey

blaze83

Hi all,

been away a couple of days no power & trying to saw out my neigborhood

here is a link to some of pictures of some of the damagage...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/photogalleries/localnews1574/1.html

basically the northwest was hit by a small catagory 1 huricane with wind gusts up to 88 miles an hour in some places. close to a million people out of power...they are predicting some people in the small towns outside the city will be out of power for 3 to 4 weeks...I was fortunate, I was only without power for 48 hours....and I live 6 miles from the City of Seattle..  I've spent the last 2 days sawing out people in my neihborhood...a lot of good timber going into firewood..under the circumstances it's understanable...sir..I just want the tree off of my house,  car grage etc.....  I have a revelation through this...I use a different set of muscles to saw as compared to the cabinet shop...havn;t sawed in a few months and the 044 gets heavy towards the end of the day... if you feel to pray, please pray for the linemen trying to get the power restored they are working around the clock. in a dangerious situatuion..also pray for all those with loss of property and unfortunatly loss of life.

God bless,

Steve

I'm out the door to saw some more
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

sawguy21

Paul won't be going far for a few days. He is up to his yingyang in snow and will be busy shovelling.  ;D The highway to Vancouver is a mess with downed trees and new construction and the road east is probably impassable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

blaze33
Thanks for the update.
We had an ice storm back a few years that left us without power for a week. Neighbor and I learned that the linemen really appreciated someone to work over their saws and chains during that time. We cleaned and filed chains for a couple days, when we learned how desperate they were (and how exhausted they were trying to cut wood with a dull chain).  A bit of coffee and food also helped give them a boost (and I think it helped us get our power back a few days sooner too  :) ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Hello,I'm back :)
We only got a foot of snow but it was hard to clear.We were hunkered down expecting some power outages but the lights only went out a couple of times for a few seconds and there is plenty of food,firewood and water here if things got bad.We never got the high winds like they did right on the coast. My parents down in Squamish lost power for a few hours and he has a 5000W generator but he didn't bother dragging it out because the temps were relatively mild.

Watching the news showed a lot of damaged homes in BC and Washington from trees uprooting or snapping off.Some of the houses appeared to be sliced in half. :-\

I'm glad to here that Sawguy and the Washington/Oregon members are doing well.There is no internet service in our area right now with the lineman focusing on restoring power but I was able to log on through Telus in Kamloops BC instead of Whistler BC.I'll log on later tonight after 9 pm and try to catch up.

I missed ya'll :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

Glad to hear that (so far) everyone out on the left coast got by with little or no damage.   8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

leweee

Steve... thanks for the link to the Seattle Times.
          Good luck with the clean up & play safe. ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

Just don't let lewee borrow the chain saw. ;D

sorry lewee ;D  smiley_contract_point

Corley5

I saw a pic on the news maybe the Weather Channel of a Ford PU with its frontend about six feet in the air resting on the root mass of the tree it was parked next to.  Glad to hear everyone is OK now if they just find the climbers on Mt Hood alive and by the way why would anyone climb a mount at this time of year with a storm coming  ??? ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Same reason someone would climb Mount St Hellen's with an eminent threat of eruption at any time. ;D

D._Frederick

Were I am 20 miles SW of Portland, the wind peak gusts were in the a 50-60 mile per hour range. The power went out about 8:30 Pm so just went to bed, the next morning went to diesel power for 12 hrs before PGE got the lines back.  The wind did tear a door off my barn, don't know how many trees were tipped over in our wood lot. Am glad we didn't have another Columbus day storm with winds over a 100mph.

Thank You Sponsors!