iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ax Men Season 2

Started by Jeff, February 04, 2009, 06:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We will be working with Mindy and with some of the Ax Men again this year on a Forestry Forum contest. Details on that are not available yet, but I can tell you a bit about the upcoming new season of the History Channel's "Ax Men"

Ax Men season two will be a bit different this year. There will be 5 Logging companies this year instead of 4, however two of the original four groups of loggers we followed last year will not be returning. Melvin Lardy's Stumpbranch Logging and Gustafson Logging will be gone while Mike Pihl and Jay Browning's crews make a return.

The 3 new crews will be from Washington and Montana and 2 of these crews will be a bit of a departure from what we saw last year. One is an underwater logging team and the other a helicopter logging outfit. Below is a History Channel supplied bio for all 5 companies that will be featured on season 2

J.M. Browning Logging - Operating out of Astoria, Oregon, no-nonsense, all-business Jay Browning started his company from the ground-up. Logging is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet, and Jay knows it.  He lost his hand in a logging accident and now wears a prosthetic, but prides himself on not accepting any of the workers compensation checks that followed the ordeal. Taking handouts isn't Jay's style. This year, Browning Logging is looking for its next leader. Jay's natural successor is his son Jesse, but he has yet to prove that he has what it takes to step into his old man's boots. Jay is a tough boss and an even tougher dad, but it's the expectation of perfection that's earned him the respect of his crews, business partners and the logging community. As Jay's career winds down and the market approaches its lowest point yet, will Jesse have what it takes to carry on the family torch?

Pihl Logging - Pihl Logging has been the lifeblood of Vernonia, Oregon for almost 25 years. Almost everyone in town - all 2,300 of them - knows someone who relies on company owner Mike Pihl to keep their family fed. Pihl Logging is comprised of a group of men who like to trade jibes with each other almost as much as they like to cut timber. The real heart of the operation is 30-year veteran timber cutter Dwayne Dethlefs. Dwayne is the embodiment of old-school logging. Rounding out the crew is Dwayne's son Dustin, and a host of other colorful characters. The men at Pihl are like family -- at-times dysfunctional but always entertaining; men who fight like brothers but always have each other's backs.

S&S Aqua Logging - Retired logger, Jimmy Smith, started his Aberdeen, Washington underwater logging company because no one else was doing it and he hoped to make a quick buck. What he uncovered in the process was century-old perfectly preserved timber that his ancestors cut but was lost in Washington's waterways along its journey to the mill. Now, Jimmy seeks to harvest this slice of history for today's America to enjoy. He's a colorful man with big dreams, big ideals and very little attention to detail. Try as they may, Jimmy, his son James and the revolving cast of friends-turned-deckhands struggle every day to keep the underwater logging operation afloat.

R&R Conner Aviation - Based in Montana, R&R Conner Aviation is a family-run helicopter logging company owned and operated by Ryan Conner and wife Robin. Helicopter logging is one of the most dangerous and expensive forms of timber harvesting. The demands of working beneath a thundering helicopter and the severe weather are more than most can bargain for. Having an experienced team of pilots, mechanics and ground crew is crucial. R&R has been grounded for nine months after a hard landing destroyed their helicopter. Now, R&R is back with a rebuilt rig and Ryan is getting his company in the air and back in the woods of Montana. This is going to be a critical logging season for R&R and chief pilot, Bart Colantuono, will be a key factor in getting the business back to a place it was last year "making money".

Rygaard Logging - Based in Port Angeles, Washington, Rygaard Logging is a family business consisting of father Craig and son, Gabe. Craig is a wild man with a big heart, sharp mind and a quick wit. These are hard working salt-of-the-earth men, risking everything they have to get the job done. Logging is in their blood. As Rygaard moves onto a downhill logging site - the most dangerous of all logging operations - gravity works against them on every turn. This is brutal work and one of the quickest ways for a logger to go broke or get hurt. Adding to the liability is greenhorn Brad Hewitt, who is stepping onto the mountain for the first time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

I'm interested in the helicopter logging. I have seen it on tv shows and online videos before, but never to the lenght of detail that this will have. I am kinda depressed Stump Branch won't be on the show.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

chevytaHOE5674

Hopefully the heli logging is some single stemming, as well as normal heli logging.

The-Burl-Hunter

when does season 2 begin? i'm really excited 8)

Jeff

I think it was mentioned in another thread, that its the beginning of March, March 2nd I think.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

vtbuckslayer

What happened to the original crews?  Did finances finally catch up and shut them down or did they just decide to not be a part of season two. 
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

timberfaller390

I read Jay Browning's letter about the show and he didn't seem too happy with the way it went. I am suprised he will be back for season 2.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

Where is that letter, timberfaller???

timberfaller390

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

timberfaller390

Ain't no hill for a high stepper.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

ADAMINMO

Can't wait for it to air. Great show last season.

Thank You Sponsors!