iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ANTLER

Started by BULL_AND_BUGLE_RAN, September 05, 2001, 03:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BULL_AND_BUGLE_RAN

Folks;
I just joined this site and am curious to know how many wood workers out there also work with antler.

John M Mullins
Bull & Bugle Ranch
www.antlerINK.com

Tom

Nope, don't work with antler.  Spend a lot of time looking for them but most of my dears......uh...deers are doughs...uh ..does........

I am in possession of an email wanting some blades though and if I can remember when I have a fresh one still intend on sending one.   Lordy it's difficult dealing with all these years......I used to be so quick and now I need a notebook.

welcome to the forestry forum.  You will like this place. :)

Kevin

Can`t help you there John but I know some guys that make predator calls from deer antler and coyote howlers from cow horn.

Don P

Hi John,

Got my curiosity up. Got anything you can show? I've always wanted to make a couch with deerskin endpanels inserted in the woodwork where raised panels would go,just never gotten the roundtuits. Antler cabinet pulls might be nice. Hey, a whole furniture line is coming to mind.
How does it turn?

A friend wanted to collect droppings of different wildlife,attach jewelry hardware,varnish. The Scat Collection. OK we were near the bottom of things  :D

timberbeast

Welcome,  John!  The only thing I ever made out of antler was a door pull at my hunting shack from an old "shed".  Hacksaw and two nails.  Looks cool,  though.  
Where the heck is my axe???

CHARLIE

I enjoy woodworking and also some woodturning but have never messed with antler. I know some woodturners do turn antler and some turn plain ol' bone. They use it for turning writing pens, jewelry and boxes. Craft Supplies USA sells antler in their "The Woodturner's Catalog" for about $6 each.  From what I hear, you need to protect your lungs from the dust generated.

Tom, you probably can't find any deer antler down there in Florida 'cause they're so dang tiny. Little dear, little antler.:D :D  Also, little forest critters eat antlers for the calcium and salt. Little mousies and porky-pines...uh..oh, you don't have them do ya.;D

Don_P, believe it or not.....there is a guy in Rochester that retired from where I work (work?) and he makes artwork out of goose poop and sells it to tourists. He used to be a manager here, so I suspect that hobby came naturally. Anyway, he makes quite a bit of money selling his...."goose poop art". ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!