The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Thomas Jefferson quote worth reading.  (Read 4717 times)

Offline CHARLIE

• Senior Member x2
  • Don't wait 'til both feet are in hot water before you decide to put your best foot forward.
    • Share Post
    • Coulee Region Woodturners
Re: Thomas Jefferson quote worth reading.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2001, 11:57:44 AM »
It always amuses me to here our Legislature whine that a tax cut is going to cost us something.  It really doesn't cost us anything. It is just that they don't have as much of our money to use to to "care for us" (ie, "If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people, under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.").

One thing I have never heard anyone discuss is cost avoidance in government spending. Let's just take a look at the IRS as an example. How much money does the IRS spend each year just to collect taxes? They have to write and print all the tax rules and forms (labor and material). Packaging, handling, storage and distribution of all this material. Computers and all the personel to run them. All the extra people they hire each year during "Tax Time", etc, etc, etc.

I would venture to say that if the U.S. would adopt a "simplified" tax, the cost avoidance by not having, or needing such a huge IRS or all that printing and computers would be in the billions of dollars. A cost avoidance of this proportion should equate to less taxes.

So.... ::) ....why won't the U.S. Government simplify our taxes and benefit from a cost avoidance? First you must remember that most of our legislature is made up of lawyers who think complex is goodness. Then you'll have to ask all the lawyers and accountants that benefit from a complex tax system.

::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Thomas Jefferson quote worth reading.
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2001, 02:28:32 PM »
But, the IRS does follow cost avoidance.  It has mandated that employers become tax collectors.  If everyone would have to pay quarterlys, they would know how much money the government is taking.  Besides, the government can't really trust the people.

The state and federal government have it is their mind that they are formed to redistribute wealth.  Sometime its from the rich to the poor.  Too often it is from the taxpayer to their pockets or their cohorts.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Worth reading...

Started by VA-Sawyer on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post January 27, 2004, 12:29:15 PM
by UNCLEBUCK
xx
Who was Thomas Forgrave?

Started by Jeff on General Board

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2007, 07:51:27 PM
by SwampDonkey