iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Children's Forest

Started by RavioliKid, January 06, 2001, 12:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavioliKid

I just clicked on the link to "The Children's Forest" on the homepage. It's quite a nice program. I spent about half an hour exploring the site, until I clicked on the wrong thing and stopped it from running.

I like the fact that there is a lot of reading involved - yet there are sound effects to keep kids' attention. The graphics are bright and eye catching.

Maybe it's my middle-eged eyes, but I found the text kind of hard to read. That might not be a problem for kids, though.

I think this would be a nice addition to this site - especially if you could translate some of the "British English" into "American English".

Nice, multi-cultural approach. I think kids would like it. I'll have to do a little "field-testing" when I get back in the classroom on Monday.

=o( Vacation's over! Boo Hoo!

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

I did notice the anti-logging bias. I thought that perhaps it could be explained as "improper forestry techniques."  

I do think it is worth pointing out that development (Urban, sururban) causes a decline in the amount of forests that are available. We have to teach about wants/needs and that can be woven in.

Industrialists are not evil - they are just helping us meet our wants and needs.

Just keep planting those trees!

RavioliKid

Jeff

Very true. The statement Industry is destroying the forest, I am sure, may be true regionally, in Great Britain. I have an artist friend over there and he say's in general, "we have no trees".

I do love the effort put into this program and would love the opportunity to get "my mits' on it and change it for us!

Did you get your tree to grow? Mine started to, and I inadvertently shut my window!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Rav, I looked at it a little closer. My middle aged eyes had problems too.

I spent a little more time in there and found a couple of things I did NOT like. Very anti-logging. The program contradicts itself telling about the many and wonderful uses for trees in products, but then turns around in another portion where the kids are sending post cards from their forest world tour saying "trees are in danger because of logging or "Industry is destroying the forest"

Well, no kidding. Cow's are in danger because of hamburgers.

Also as you stated, it is VERY british. A Michigan Kid would have a hard time comparing tree height to a stack of double decker buses.

If they allow me to customize for our purposes it will stay. If not, it's outta here! I have my doubts. At first and even second and third looks. I thought this was a pro tree pro sustainable resource program. I think it might be slanted to anti forest industry. But it is a hard read being from the U.K., because they definitly are not able to have a sustainable forest resource because of geographic reasons.

RavioliKid

I don't know if my tree started to grow or not. I never saw any reference to it after I started. I quit when the game stopped.

It would be great if you could change it to suit our needs! I don't know what goes into making changes like that, but it seems like what is mostly needed is text changes. How hard can that be? (In the overall scheme of things, I mean.)

RavioliKid

Jeff

Pretty involved, That program was made with either flash, or macromedea director. The text is no longer text, but an image with text on it. The whole image would have to be redone. That doesnt scare me though, just another challange.

The scary part is getting these people to let me edit it for us! I have two letters out, so we will see.
If this was done from an environmentalist point of view, they probably will blow me out of the water.

If it was done to help educate using fact, they may let us.

To look at your tree, you go back to the screen with all the signs on it and click on the little icon in the lower left hand corner.

Thank You Sponsors!