iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Ready for a Hurricane

Started by Roxie, August 24, 2011, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Glad to learn that things are okay with you folks and your son, Roxie.  I've been wondering how it's going.

Norm in Michigan.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

I have power back now, but no cable.  I cleaned up the tree in the front yard.  I didn't touch the back.

I think there were pickets that got hit harder than others, I think I was in one of those spots. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zopi

We are ok....no power...been out drummong up business...several thousand to the good...
One job is going to net me oh...a thousand board feet of straight grained oak.....for which I already have a buyer...few more of those and I will have that hyd sawmill....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Roxie

Dan, it looks like North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland and Delaware got the worst of it.  Are you located near the mouth of the Chesapeake? 

My son told me that at the motel they were staying in this weekend, they had the only car with a license plate from Delaware.  He said at least a dozen had New Jersey tags, and there were three from New York. 

Zopi, when life hands you lemons....good for you!

Say when

Mooseherder

Now the storm is over my beloved Maine they aren't even talking about local towns and stories anymore.
Freakin' news whores. :D

snowstorm

here on the midcoast of maine. hasnt rained much since noon but it is blowing. checked on the boat all was fine. someone parked a 100ft wind break on the other side of the dock. half the boats in the harbor were hauled out yesterday. saw a sail boat from iatly a couple from the west coast. talked to one of the crew on a 98' yacht they steamed up from cape cod to have it hauled out. werent taking any chances .they have a new 165ton travel lift in the boat yard it was very busy

Roxie

Mooseherder, speaking of them....what do you suppose makes them think we want to see endless shots of the ocean?  At two o'clock this morning, I turned the Weather Channel on and was watching the same sad guy being blown by wind and sand against a completely black ocean background.  "It's up to the dune!"  "How awful!  This house is loosing it's shingles!"  Meanwhile, the real battle was being fought inland by people who actually live in the only house they own.  

Seriously, the near giddy hysteria was over the top this time.  
Say when

SwampDonkey

The rain is coming down in bursts. Long stretches of light rain followed by 5-15 minutes of down pour, got 1.25" now and the wind is 15-20 mph and gusty at times. Nothing too nasty yet, did get some lightning earlier.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 28, 2011, 06:29:09 PM
Now the storm is over my beloved Maine they aren't even talking about local towns and stories anymore.
Freakin' news whores. :D

All you get on the local TV is regularly scheduled programs. If it wasn't for Ted the weather guy up their in Presque Isle we wouldn't have much information, none to be exact. The radio guy is on the moon or someplace. :D

Mooseherder

When I saw the younsters pull their shorts down to Moon the Reporter on the street in
Virginia Beach all I could think of is great,
now they will only go with Beach shots from here on out because they don't want people
behind them showing butt on TV. :D
Who knows what their leaderships vision is but it may boil down to taking the path of least resistance for the Producers.  The coverage was pretty lame.

zopi

The steaker was classic...wish I had thought of it...I absolutely detest the camera clowns and eyewitless reporting...ki.da the effect of..."we know the weather sucks, now get your dumb@@@ back in the house!"
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

Good to hear from you zopi.

I spoke with friends near by, they had neighbors spend the night in their basement.  lots of trees down where they live.

Roxie, I live on the western side of the chesapeake bay.  As the crow flies, it's probably a half to 3/4 of a mile from my house.

My road got hit pretty bad, but when I made it out today, it wasn't so bad near by.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zopi

City to the east is all lit up and po' kuntry folks are reading by candlelight...yay!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

clww

We survived, Irene here, too. Power never went out, internet was hit and miss into this afternoon. Ended up missing 15 shingles, but I had my handyman out here before 0800 this morning to fix that, and several vent tube boots that had deteriorated, which is what caused the ceiling to spot wet in three places. Today, I spent several hours on tree removal to recoup my roofing repairs. At the end of the day, I was back even, so tomorrow everything is pure profits. 30" dbh Red Oak just down the street blew over last night, so that will be next year's firewood.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

It doesn't look to me we are going to get much more out of this. A gentle breeze with light rain and 72 degrees out right now. Power and phone never missed a beat here.

Bed time............zzzzzzzz

Ron Wenrich

We had 2" of rain and winds with gusts to 40 mph.  The wet ground put plenty of trees down, mainly due to wind coming from a different direction.  The area is 16" above yearly rainfall, so far.  I lost only locust trees.  The others stayed put.  Has a lot do do with location and shallow rooting of locust.  Some limb debris, but not much more than expected.

Electric was out for about 2 hours.  My sister was at a campground, in a camper.  Trees hit 5 cars, so they left.  We also had a guy get killed who was sleeping in a tent.  A tree fell on the tent.  Recently logged site.

I have some friends that actually rode out the storm in Rehobeth Beach, DE.  They live in a trailer. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

doctorb

Back online at work.  No power at home and they say it could be days.  Trees and power lines down everywhere.  Lost a nice maple right at my front door.  Spent yesterday afternoon with a chain saw.  Very good therapy for my hip!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sprucebunny

We had 5" of rain here but the wind wasn't too bad. Power is out since lunch yesterday. Finally got my generator going to keep the fridge cold.

At least one covered bridge was swept away in Vermont.
Caution: language.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkrl5v_lower-bartonsville-covered-bridge-swept-away-by-irene_news

Hate to see history swept downstream in the blink of an eye !!

Still some flooding around.

Hope everyone is OK

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Weekend_Sawyer

I came through it just fine. Slept through most of it. My Generator started on the first pull so of course I didn't loose power. Lost one big white oak. it's in the road still. Baltimore Gas and Electric is pretty buisy, says they will get to  it soon. Doesn't bother me keeps the traffic down to a minimum.

I have hauled away 2 pickup loads of limbs so far.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

VT_Forestry

We made it through, although not without some damage.  At work, our facilities did fairly well...no major access issues (although we have trees down on our fences that we'll have to clean up) and we were able to check on everything by 10am Sunday morning.  The bikeway in Newport News Park, however, is a different story.  We started on that yesterday while waiting to be dispatched out to other parts of the city that needed trees cleared (never got called out).  Trees down everywhere...nice oaks mostly.  We had a Deere 332 CTL working with us for a little bit until the hydraulics busted and it couldn't move anymore.  So we got a backhoe and that was great until they called both backhoes back to help move the CTL.  So without heavy equipment we got worn out pretty quick  :D  We'll be back at it again today.  We've got over 70 miles of trail to clear, so we're gonna be busy for awhile.

At my house, I'm still without power.  Had an 18" poplar uproot in the neighbors yard and take out the fence and part of my woodpile.  Other than that, I'm sittin pretty  ;D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

SwampDonkey

Wind wasn't bad here, and now it's just a slight breeze from the SW. Got only 1.52" rain and never lost power or phone, except one little flicker of power that was like turning off and on the light switch sometime after midnight. I've seen fall winds and rain twice as bad as this storm. Basement remained relatively dry except for a little trickle of water seeping toward the drain hole. Sun is expected to peak through this afternoon.

Roxie

Sprucebunny, that video broke my heart. 

Say when

SwampDonkey

Here we don't need floods to wash out bridges the low life bums of the country have been burning the covered bridges the last few years. You get one idiot doing it and the other deviants copy the act.

zopi

That sounds like a horsewhipping offense.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!