iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Ready for a Hurricane

Started by Roxie, August 24, 2011, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

We got off easy in my part of Vermont. 6" or so of rain, and a bit gusty, No trees down in my area.

Other than a lot of rain at once, this was nothing compared to the storms we had this Spring and earlier this Summer - 100 MPH gusts, when the ground was already saturated going into it... trees down everywhere for that one. I guess we removed all the weak ones with those storms.

30 minutes south of us, the local pizza parlor washed off its foundation and settled in the middle of the road. I've heard some of the main bridges in and out of Montpelier (Vermont state capitol) were washed out.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Bill

SE Pa came away with more water damage than wind - tho lots are without power still from downed trees on power lines . Lost it here Sat night but held off on the generator till Sun morning. Power company said 7 - 14 days for everyone to be back but many are back up today  :)

Spent alot time prepping for Irene and really was tired of her before she even got here  . . .

Thankful she wasn't more mean spirited than she coulda been .

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sprucebunny

Where I live is the Saco River valley below Mount Washington. My land is north of Mt. Washington.

It was wet in the valley this morning. The Saco was 8 feet over flood stage and I've never seen some of the places flooded that were flooded this morning.

Getting out of the valley was a whole 'nother trip. Starting on the west side of the valley; Rt112, The Kancamangus highway: washed out. closed till the end of October. US 302 toward Littleton over Crawford Notch: closed, washed out. reopen Thursday. NH Rt16 which goes thru Pinkham Notch and toward the Mt Washington Auto Road. Closed. washed out. reopened at noon.

I was told the road thru Evan's Notch was closed (but it's not reported on the state website) so I went for the next; route 5 in Maine and it was flat and fine. I came back on Rt16 and the breakdown lane was missing on one side and the buried wires showing for about 1/4-1/3 of a mile.

So around here, erosion from water racing off the mountains was the most damaging thing.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow Joan, Sounds like a good excuse to stay home!  :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

I did not see any damage in my area. Drove about 45 minutes form here and only saw a few trees down. But that was only traveling towards Augusta. I was concerned about the road I live on. A dirt road with the ditches higher than the road. But it did not wash out at all.No power for about 16 hours. We was lucky.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

People here are starting to get antsy.  250,000 in Maryland still without power, some won't get it restored until Friday or Saturday - myself included.  Still have wires down on the road.

Lots of stop lights still out.  People seem to have forgotten to stop at a stop light that's dark.  

They need to calm down and help each other out.  We seem to all be in this mess together.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Haven't noticed any damages out on the local woods roads. As far as water, the woods has been full of water most of the summer here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

I discovered the cure for post-hurricane power outages.  Invite all your neighbors over for a good cookout dinner because you have generator and thus electricity and they don't.  They haven't had power since Saturday night!  One hour before they were to arrive, the power came back on.  I told them if I had known, I wouldn't have invited them ;D. A good time was had by all!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Dan_Shade

i have little patience for the impatient  >:(

Things are still a bit rough around here, but I look around, and think things could have been so much worse...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doctorb

Dan

Sorry to hear things are still a bit rough.  If I'd known, I would have invited you up to meet my neighbors and have dinner.  They got so frazzled!  The relief on their parts with the return of their electricity was palpable.  Hang tough.

Roxie

Tropical storm Lee getting busy with Louisiana, Mississippi, and the Florida pan handle. 

Thinking of y'all and hoping your safe! 
Say when

Radar67

Just a slow steady rain here, about an inch so far. We really needed it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

The one they are watching now for this region is Katia, to see if it will slam the Maritimes next week.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

We're supposed to get as much as 3" more rain in Vermont starting Monday evening. Things haven't really dried out from Irene. There are flash flood watches out for Vermont & northern New York. This is really going to hamper some of the repair efforts to all the damaged roads around here.

I got off very easy the first time around. Two days after Irene swept through, the apple tree we planted 9 years ago when my son was born slumped over about 45˚. I pulled it back up and staked it out. We'll see if it makes it.

Not much else in my town, but more rain is not going to help things. I really feel for the folks in some of the mountain towns east of me that have been cut off for days. They were airlifting supplies into those folks with helicopters.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!