iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our Tree is in D.C.!

Started by Jeff, December 05, 2001, 02:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Our tree, the Tree of Hope has made it to D.C. and is standing proudly in front of the capital. Can't tell you what it meant to me to see those first pictures. I feel like a new dad ;)  I sure am happy to have had the opportunity to be part of it.

Check em out here on Senator Levin's website
http://www.senate.gov/~levin/holidaytree.htm

There is even a live webcam!!!  I got in just in time to see the sun setting on the tree. It's to dark now. Check it out!!

Live Tree cam
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Are you using the personal links bar to the left of the page yet?  If not, here is a great chance to start.

Jeff put it there for just such occasions as this.  

Click customize your info and put this link in there so that you can easily go see Jeff's tree standing in front of Our Capital.  

www.senate.gov/~levin/holidaytree.htm

I put 'Christmas Tree' in site name.....smart huh?

Kevin

Jeff, my buyers gang hat is off to you!

Jeff

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ron Scott

Good job Jeff! I know you put an awful lot of effort and miles in to this.

Well done!
~Ron

timberbeast

Cool,  cool and cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
Where the heck is my axe???

RavioliKid

Congratulations, Jeff!

If you're the Daddy, I feel like a proud auntie - or maybe a distant cousin.

That was really wonderful. I'll have to check out the website tomorrow - after the sun comes up.  ;)
RavioliKid

Charlesspeciallady

Thank you Kevin.You found what I was looking for. ;)

Jeff

Kevin, I recognize the email address from the thank you above. It is in regards to your answer to the "Digger Log" thread.

Jeff

Tonight our family cut our own tree of hope. A 9 foot white spruce that needed to be removed because it was growing to close to a larger blue spruce. We plan on turning the lights on tomorrow along with the lighting of the big tree.

Remember the Tree of Hope Lighting ceremony is at 5:00 on the 11th THATS TOMORROW! On c-span. I am pretty sure c-span also has a live web feed on thier website if you don't get them on cable http://cspan.org/

Kevin

QuoteThank you Kevin.You found what I was looking for. ;)

Glad to be of assistance.

Jeff

I do not know why this is not on cspan right now. I am looking at the webcam and see the ceremony going on and the tree not lit yet. The Speaker of the house who throws the switch is on cspan in session right now.

RavioliKid

I saw it on the local news. They had a live feed, and I was watching in my classroom while I was trying to get cleaned up from the day's mess.

If there is one thing I am good at, it is making a mess!

The tree looked great!

8)
RavioliKid

Papa Dave

Great Job, Jeff.  I understand the tree will be cut into lumber after the first of the year for a Habitat House.  Are you going to be the sawyer.

Jeff

Thanks, and nope I don't get the job.  :-[ :-[

Louisiana Pacific will be handling that :)

Yep, the lumber will be specially stamped and used in building Habitat for Humanity homes this next year in Michigan. Of course this is only one tree, but the lumber will be distributed to many many homes so folks can say that The Tree of Hope, The first Holiday tree of the new millenium, that stood in front of our U.S. capital in 2001 was used to help build our home.

Tom

I was sitting in my chair watching TV in this inclimate weather and a news story come on about the quarantine of people from the White House around Sen. Daschle's office.

I don't know what that is all about but it reminded me of the camera they had set up in his office window for a live feed of the Tree of Hope.  

I came to my computer to look at the tree and found that there is a bucket truck beside it and they are taking the ornaments off of it.  I guess it won't be too long before the tree comes down.  

If you want a last look, perhaps you should do it soon.

http://www.senate.gov/~levin/holidaytree.htm

Frank_Pender

You know, Tom, after viewing the tree I thought, There truly is hope in every tree I see.  Be it on my Tree Farm or any place. ;)
Frank Pender

Tom

I guess that is what distinguishes us from a lot of the rest of the population, Frank.  I get a good feeling when I stand next to a tree on my place too.  

It's a shame that the "conservationist" don't recognize tree farmers, loggers and, generally, woodworkers as the premium "environmentalist" of the world rather than the "black hatted bad guys" they would rather portray us.

The Tree of Hope has done the nation a service and , in it's own right,  is a hero.  I wonder if God gives medals of honor?

RavioliKid

I made a mad dash through Meijer's (a discount store for those not familiar with them) and saw the remaining Christmas merchandise for sale.

I bought myself one of those Tree of Hope ornaments! I was thrilled to get one - and it was quite a bargain at 75% off!  8)

I've hung it on my (sadly) artificial little tree. One of these days, I'm going to have to take it back to the basement until next year.

:)
RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!