iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter storm 'Helen'....

Started by chain, January 16, 2013, 08:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Weather service is naming the winter storms now. So how do you like 'Helen ?' She's a persistent, lingering old gal, making her presence known throughout the south and east.

The good: Much needed rains has Miss. River rising twenty feet , and that's a plus! ;D

The bad: Freezing rain and snow, especially where there's no  snowplows or salting . :o

The ugly: Yep, you got it, fender benders, the mud thaw..goodbye Helen! :-X

Magicman

Well, "she" sorta slid her way toward me, and is still sitting here.  I probably will get some ice at the tree farm but none here.  34° this morning.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim_Rogers

It was 60°F here on Monday, and it snowed today.

I plowed for a while and then it started raining.

It's going to be an icy mess when this all freezes up.....

Jim Rogers

PS. I don't know if this storm is "Helen" or not...... I haven't followed her progress too closely.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

It was 34° before daylight this morning.  It got up to a whopping 35° today and then settled back down to 34°.  It is forecast to drop into the 20's for the next several days but the rain is supposed to go.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

I'm back in Virginia Beach for a few days. I just saw the forecast for tomorrow, and we are to expect more than a few inches of snow here from this storm. The area will probably be shut down until next Monday if there is more than half an inch of snow accumulation. The roads AND drivers are nuts around here whenever it snows. ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

We did get a dusting of snow early this morning, maybe an inch.  It's 33° so it will not stay long.

red oaks lumber

we don't have hellen ,  the weather coming in is suppose to be colder than my mother in laws hug. :)for those who don't know her .... thats cold. talking minus 25 - 30 with highs not breaking zero thru wed of next week.
the good thing about winter is the bugs aren't much of a bother ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

doctorb

The National Weather service is not, to the best of my knowledge, naming winter storms as they do with tropical storms and huricaines.  This is being done by the Weather Channel and is not sanctioned by any other meteorological body.  It is an attempt, on one hand, to be able to better forewarn people about coming winter storms, whereas, on the other hand, it is open and blatant sensationalism by the Weather Channel to drum up continued interest.  Take it or leave it as you wish.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/twc-winter-storm-naming-will-m/83668
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

Our local news is as bad too at 'Drumming" We get 6 inches of snow and the reporters stand by the freeway,that is all bare due to the stuff the state uses to melt the snow,and tell how the speed limit has been reduced to 45mph and to hear them talk they are in Mississippi reporting on a storm.  :D Was watching the national new once and they reported on how hard and bad the storm was from outwest to Maine. they even had a picture of a road in Maine covered with snow. :D We are use to it here. We have the equipment and the snow tires for it and most have been driving in it for years. Life goes on when it snows here. No need to talk about it for 15 minutes,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

I was married to her. The storm is nothn compared to her ;)

JohnM

Quote from: chain on January 16, 2013, 08:21:36 AM
So how do you like 'Helen ?' She's a persistent, lingering old gal, making her presence known throughout the south and east.

My Grandmother was a 'snowbird' for years, going back and forth between Maine and Florida and she lived to 102yrs old.....her name was Helen.  ;) :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Thank You Sponsors!