iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heated handles

Started by timberjack 450, January 30, 2013, 05:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

Has anyone run saw with heated handles? I run 385 and 390 Husky's. My hands are getting pretty bad. It's just great getting old. I better get going on  my Timbco and get it in the woods.
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

thecfarm

I run them on my 372. They are now not working,With me living here now I can change gloves so my hands don't get as cold. Someone mentioned on a new saw they are only $50. But to put them on a saw I think it is a lot more. But I would check with a dealer to find out. I use to have to warm my hand on the exhaust of the tractor. What did me in was hooking up the logs. The chains would fill up with snow and my hands would get wet.I would get the heated handles again. I like to have a good time cutting wood.  ;D There is a switch to turn them off and on. There is a "G" for generator after the model,mine is 372XPG
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Heated handles work for me, I have always thought that damage to your hands is less when they are warm. Helps a lot when you work alone because handling a saw is not the only task at hand. The tec. weakness seems to be the wires that run up the handles between the metal and grip rubber. Can easily be damaged by another saw etc.
   If it helps cfarm I use a choker poker. Just a piece of round rod. Shove  some fuel line over the handle before you bend it. Like a wood hook ,takes some practice but I use it to handle cable,bells ,chokers .

logon

thecfarm

You mean like this,

The links fill up with snow and gets my hands wet. Probably those cable chockers would cure that problem.   ;) But I'm not in the woods for money now. I'm just playing cutting my firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Same idea. Do you use the clip to hook to the chain or is that just for hanging it? I use round rod that is sized to fit in the key ways.   Personal choice I like the chain chokers.  Have to roll trees and they work well. The farm tractor does not have the lift of the skidder so cable chokers do not work well with it.  Chokers that work on either machine keep it simple. 

logon

thecfarm

It's more for hanging to make sure it stays on the winch guard. I do use the snap to hook the chain onto. I don't use it much,so the snap has never frooze on me,yet. When I'm digging rocks the tractor gets a work out and even the chains will come out of the boxes on the winch. The hook of the chain is connected to the guard,but the chain will fall out and drag on the ground sometimes.Tractor is under cover each night. If the snap did start to bother I would make a longer loop like yours. I just wanted to make sure I did not lose it. I don't think the cable chockers would work good for me. I pull alot of small wood, 4 inches. But I never used them either.

Stephen Alford

Interesting cfarm, I guess we best let this thread get back to heated handles, sorry TJ 450.  Guess there is a bit of crow in us all, like to chat and not much good at keepin secrets.  :D
logon

jocco

They do not seem to last very long >:(
You may check out but you will never leave

Dom

Quote from: Stephen Alford on January 30, 2013, 07:45:05 AM
  Heated handles work for me, I have always thought that damage to your hands is less when they are warm.

Somewhat true I beleive. Not so common nowadays, but when my father started working as a family doctor in the late 70's he'd have loggers visit him with blue hands. The vibrations of saws had litterally damaged the nerves and blood circulation in the hands, causing the hands to get really cold quick. Saws have come a long way, but after hearing that story I would want all the safety and comfort I could get out of a saw.

ST Ranch

TJ 450 - I run a husky 372 XPG with heated handles - quite warm and toasty, but plastic toggle switch is right beside trigger [opposite the on/off] and it is easy to turn on by mistake - in summer, its a pain cuz your hands get hot and then the brainfart mind says - you got the heater on.  My old 181 has no heat and it has real  poor anti - vibe, so I hate using it in winter, but its got lots of guts, so ya live with the tradeoff.
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

timberjack 450

Thanks for all the advice. I will be calling today for a price on a 390 xpg.
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor

timberjack 450

I got some prices on a 390 XPG. The best price so far is $950. That's with a 2 foot bar and skip tooth chain. I don't think I can do better than that.

Ed_K

That is a very good price,last I saw was around $1100.Price a 3120  :o .
Ed K

cutter88

i found all the heated handle did was make my gloves wet! bet everybody has there own opinion...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Thank You Sponsors!