iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideas for old 56 inch headsaw?

Started by Jeff, January 24, 2002, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have a question. I have a 56 inch saw here that has a bad collar crack its no good. My question is what might this saw be good for now? Have you seen any interesting stuff made from them? What about in the household. I would like to incorporate it into our home but it's so big. I want to do something unique. Not just paint on it, even though I do paint. www.forestryforum.com/jeff takes you to my old personal site with art. Any suggestions?

I was contemplating cutting the rim off and using it as a wall hanging. Leaving just the shoulders and about 4 inches of plate then polishing it up. How the heck would I cut it with out warping and distorting it beyond recognition.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TnAndy

Heck yes......every bandmiller should have one on his shed like me......you paint a red border and a slash running from upper left corner to lower right......you know, the international symbol for "NO" something or rather.....NO CIRLE SAWS allowed in this case :D
Price, quality, service....
    Pick any two

Frank_Pender

Jeff, I took a 41/2 foot wagon wheen and had a piece of glass cut to fit at the out portion of the rim, with a hole cut in the middle to allow for the hub to extend through.   You might do the same, but make sure that the glass comes behone th edge far enough to not allow for the teeth to be touched very easily.   for the legs you might consider a large knarled root system of some sort for the blade to set on and be attatched so that tipping is not a problem.  Good luck in your venture.  Keep us posted as to the outcome, please. ;)
Frank Pender

Jeff

This saw already has had one incarnation since ending its natural life. I'll try to get it turned around to take a picture. It's NOT what you might think ;)

Very Funny Andy. You might just fit in. Will lump ya in with Kevin. :D

Don P

Andy, you're not that far away. Imagine looking out at you're millshed one morning to see.

:)

Jeff, you need tools ;D. Bosch jigsaw...filigree, or an new set of ginsu's.

Jeff

Don, I didnt quite get that.

Bosch jigsaw...filigree?  splain yerself man

Jeff

If I worked for 30 years in a sawmill I'd rather leave with a cake and a watch.

Never met this guy. I guess he was moving to Arizona and gave this to someone who gave it to me.

It was signed by a ton of people. I don't know where this Company is (was?)

Don P

Work your fingers to the bone, whaddaya get?
Boney Fingers :D

Well Jeff, I been thinkin about the highest and best use of the aforementioned circular blade...and also about your need for $15000 :D...And about Andy's need for a circular blade W/SMILEY on his sawshed (I'll throw in shipping also).

The way I see it, we throw the generator in the back of the power wagon. I bribe Pancho and Lefty into riding back there with electric impacts and the blade. Under a minute, he'll never know what hit him. ;D

Kevin

Does Dick know you have that?
I don`t want to be an accessory after the fact.

Jeff...
 accessory
 a person not actually or constructively present but contributing as
 an assistant or instigator to the commission of an offense -- called also
 accessory before the fact b : a person who knowing that a crime has
 been committed aids or shelters the offender with intent to defeat
 justice -- called also accessory after the fact

Make a chandelier out of it if they don`t catch up with you but take the name off it.

Tom

Jeff,

Since the thing was an award, you may have something that would be worth something to Dick or, if he's deceased, his family.  Perhaps someone who owned the sawmill would be interested.  I know it would be hard to track down but it may be worth it.  

Even if you decide to paint the thing, it would be ashame to wipe out the tribute and the signatures.   Is the back empty?

If the back is empty then a painting of the sawmill, assuming you can find it, would be a neat thing to put on it and the tribute could remain on the flip side.

If It were bare then I would suggest a sign for the yard, maybe around dthe mailbox, to Identify you and your family as Sawmill folks.You could paint your names and address on it.

Jeff

Kev do the math. 30 years in a sawmill, the guy had to be near dead when he retired in 1980. :D If he is still alive the last thing he would want to see is that saw.  Be cool if anybody out there recognized the business or the man. There are probably 50 to 60 signatures on the thing.

Would a plasma torch cut it?

No Don, I will not trade my prized saw for a spellchecker.

DanG

Why not make a round table and inset the blade into the top, then encase the whole thing in that polyeurethane epoxy stuffy-ma-bobbit!  That oughta make a jim-dandy picnic table. 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

I've been watching farm auctions and such trying to pick up the framework and blade from an old circle mill.  I want to set it up where the road forks to our place and paint our sawmill name on the blade or slab off a log and have our name painted there.  I've not managed to be at the right sale the right day.   >:(

I know were there are probably a half dozen old circle mills with their frames rotting off and brush growing up in them but their owners won't part with them because they belonged to such and such. ::)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

www.smithlumber.com

H.A. Smith
Lumber & Hardware
Phone: 248-474-6610 Fax: 248-474-5556

Welcome to HA Smith Lumber  

Jeff

That might be it. Thats Farmington Michigan. Quite a ways from here but the right state. But they aint a sawmill. I just figured the guy was a sawyer. Maybe not. Maybe a hardware clerk.

Dan are you trying to be funny? The last time I asked for input was about that epoxy gobbily gook and never did get a good answer. :D

O.K. Back to the topic.

Don P

Yup a plasma torch should do the trick, you're wife let's you get good toys. Mine nixed the torch. To be honest I've never tried to cut saw plate, I've got some 71 /4" junkers I'll try with the jigsaw and a metal blade.

Frank_Pender

After all of these fine suggestions I still feel that with the message as presented, the whole thing need to bu under glass to protect the "award". ;)
Frank Pender

Jeff

You Guys, Dick Blue did not want the thing. He told the person he gave it to to get rid of it, which they did that week. I got it in about 1997 when dick blue moved to Arizona.

If he didnt want to save it why would I?

Kevin

When Dicks saw blade was stolen (finally given away) it almost killed (made him weep with joy.)him.
It was the last thing he had (first thing he wanted to get rid of), all those memories of thirty years past.
He was heart broken (elated)and his spirit (soared) and loveof the lumber milling business he (once) charished so much was also stolen  the day they robbed (Gave away) him of  his saw blade.
We use to (think we could) hear that blade singing in the wind all the way up to Canada as Dick worked his old heart away sawing up logs for his neighbors accepting nothing in return. As it turned out, it was just the neighbors skinning beavers.
Rural Michigan isn`t the same anymore since Dick lost his mill and had to leave.
Some insist that Dick moved on to Arizona with a tear in his eye (but a song in his heart now that he could once again sing baratone instead of soprano from all those years of lugging around that damned heavy saw,) but I guess we`ll never really know for sure.
We`ll always remember Dick, his kindness, his lively spirit and the music he made with that old circ blade, milling Michigan timber just for the love of it.
Thanks Dick, where ever you are.  :'(

EDITED BY ADMIN

Jeff

Kevin

I don`t want to discuss the alleged assault on Dick, his sudden disappearance or how you came into possession of the missing circ blade so I`ll just offer another idea ... a ceiling fan, now that`s a classic!

DanG

I don't know how you guys got so far off the track, on this matter.  Dick Blue didn't leave Michigan to go to Arizona. He migrated TO Michigan from Arizona, right after he finished the job at the Painted Forest. He died of a broken heart when he discovered that they were making syrup from the lil' ol' trees up there, and he couldn't even get a decent can of peas, which were considered to be excellent wages for an Arizona sawyer.
I understand that his ghost is aimlessly checking random closets, looking eternally for his beloved blade. :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bud Man

Enlarge the collar and it could be an  excellant outhouse seat for a really big mean tough lumberjack, wouldn't even have to dull the edges.  Or maybe a headboard for the guest bedroom.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Thank You Sponsors!