iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whack of firewood

Started by woodmills1, February 04, 2002, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

wanted to see if the kioti would pull a full load up the hill out of the woods with the nasty ice we have.  here it is home and ready to cut and split. :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

30 horse in 4x4, 2800 rpm second gear low, differential lock engaged and the tires would spin  momentarily till the ice broke then griped the ground.  it walked right up the hill out of the woods into the orchard.  :D  but in the spring i get rid of the hill with the dozer. :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

Get rid of the hill ! Then what will you do for fun.....huh?  :D

woodmills1

cuttin and sawin, then gets mea cano brand name peas! :D

Frank_Pender

I would simply put water on the hill site after the dozer hits it and have my true fun then with my 4 x 4.   ;)  That is a nice Whack of firewood.  Looks as though you will double your heat with that for a while. :D
Frank Pender

woodmills1

cut split and stacked under cover the same day.  gottsta keep my baby warm ya know. :D  i get the second warmth when it burns. 8)

Tom

I still like forwarder a whole bunch.  Wish I had one...sniff....makes me real envious....sniff......

DanG

DanG, WM1! That lil' ol' trackter of yore's does a pretty good job! :)

Would somebody please tell me?  What the heck is a "forwarder?"   :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

It's that trailer looking affair with the log loader on it that he's pulling behind the tractor................   I want one

DanG

Well, SHOOT FIRE!  Is that all?  I'm fittn(Ebonics for "preparing") to build one, and I didn't even know what to call it. I wuz just gonna call it a trailer with a loader on it.  :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

FORWARDER.  though i like loader trailer.  keeps the revenurers guessin.

Gordon

Hay Woodmills that log mover thingie with that arm lookin gizmo sure is cool lookin.  ;)

But I'm with Tom on this one, sure would love to have one I'm envious... and then some.

If you split it by hand then wood is three times as good as oil. That is it warms u three times. First time when you cut it, second time when u split it and the third time when you burn it.
Gordon

DanG

If he'd send that thar forwarder doo-hickey down here to Flarder fer me n Tom to try out, that would wood warm him up several times. I mean, ya got yer cuttin', then yer loadin', then yer unloadin', then some more cuttin, then some splittin, then some more loadin', then some more unloadin', not to even mention all the totin' he's missin' out on.  Looks to me like ol' Woodmills is guilty of wastin' wood! >:(

Frank_Pender

You know, Woodmills, I just had to return to your pictures of your "whack of firewood" this morning.  I am filled with envy.  I visited one of them machines a year ago and almost bought one, the "Wheeler".  I saw one at the Logging Conference in Eugene, Oregon.   The show is on again this month (21-24).  I will go again and spend the day drueling over some of the toys I would like to have.   "Soon, real soon", my wife says after showing her the pictures you posted.  But, I know better.  I will be some time yet before I work off the $20,000 for the machine I "have to have" for my operation. :'(
Frank Pender

woodmills1

the wheeler does seem real nice though its purpose is over the road and not in the woods.  mine is from the same outfit payeur distributors in canada.  but mine is for the woods, it has two balloon tires on each side with a walking beam suspension, no springs.  also no lights or brakes.  the wheeler and wheeler junior have road worthy sping suspension and lights and brakes.  the kioti 3054 has skid plates and FOPS installed by payeur.  keep your eyes open and maybe you will find a used wheeler from someone who found out he really needed a full log truck.  thats how i got my package, a part timer whet full time into tree harvesting and found the kioti/metavic package too small for his production.  used has always been my way, especially when it was just a bit over half price at 2 years old and 300 hrs.  so nice. :D

DanG

Frank, let me tell you my plans for such a rig.
I have a 6 ton trailer that I bought at auction for $400, but the springs aren't strong enough for what the trailer and truck would handle. I can buy 7k axles, with brakes, and springs for about $200 each, X3= $600.
I have some 6.5ft pieces of I-beam that I bought at the same auction for $1 each. I can buy double acting hydraulic cylinders for about $100 each, X3 = $300. The control valves are about another $100, and a 12v hydraulic power unit is about $400.
A few other, miscellaneous parts, a bit of ingenuity, and a few gleeful hours with the welder, and I'll have a "Wheeler" for a little bit under $20 grand. 8)
With your gift for fabricating machinery, this otter be a piece of cake 4U. :)

Frank_Pender

Thank you for the compliment, Dan.   I am still seriously looking into the issue as you suggested.  I have most of the materials already.  but if something goe wrong with the self made machine I have to look at the guy in the mirror that misdesigned the blasted think. :D   I have the the frame for the 5th wheel trailer, a dolly for the trailer, the bunks for the trailer and they are adjustable, the hydraulic pump system to run the whole shabang .  What I need is/are the grapples, axels, rims and tires, the swivel system for the loader to ride on as it turns and some sort of additional power system for swing power.  I might just have to listen to another good mill owner like yourself and seek out the addition "parts" I need.  Thank you for the push in the $ saving direction.
Frank Pender

Tom

"What I need is...................the swivel system for the loader to ride on as it turns and ................"

--------------------

Frank, the pulpwooders use a home built contraption for shortwood that uses an old truck axle and wheel for the swivel part.

I have pictures of it on my album site Cartogra and this link should take you there http://www.cartogra.com/home/ViewMyAlbum.asp?coll_id=816660

swampwhiteoak

Frank, there is no sense in just messing around, you should just bring one of these home .  Tell your wife you got a good deal on it :D

psychotic1

Now that's just downright mean  swamp.

You shouldn't outta go an do that to these guys.
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Frank_Pender

Well, guys, I sure appreciate the ideas.  The last one that Swampoak posted would be a bit slow for on the road. :D  However, for on the farm it would be great, but way out of my class.  Over the next few weeks I will surely look into a number of ideas  being presented.  Dreams are fun as long as we do not let them become our master as Kipling said.  :P  I will get there soon with the machine I need, whether I buld it or not.  Patience for these sorts of toys has always paid off for me.  ???
Frank Pender

Don P

Hey Tom,
Do your pulp cutters call that a Ron W? I grew up calling that a woodtick.
I don't know if y'all have ever listened to a storyteller named Jerry Clower. Swamp's pic reminded me of a line from a story about cousin Marcelle Ledbetter. Seems he walked up to the door of the bar wearing nothing between him and the lord but a pair of old bibs. He poked his chainsaw thru the door, cleaned it out and stepped in.
"They gave Marcelle the bar"

Sawmill's at the bottom of the hill :D

Thank You Sponsors!