iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The day has come.....

Started by CHARLIE, February 06, 2002, 12:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

After 33 1/2 years working at the Blue Zoo (IBM Corp), I've decided to retire. My last day here will be on March 8th and then I'm thinking of becoming a full time mill offloader. I've got 2 days of experience at it so it shouldn't be too hard to find a job. Especially since I work (?) cheap.
Note to Tom: Would you send me a letter of recommendation?  :D :D :D
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don P

Way to go Charlie! We'll all start putting up extra peas ;D.
Any big plans?

Jeff

Charlie, all I can say is Woopy!  And you better upgrade that home computer before you go. Don't be cheap. Everybody here should know that Tom is not the only cheap one in the family.

Ya'll ever hear the Johnny cash song where he gets a cadillac by bringing home one piece at a time from the plant over 20 years?  Well, picture an IBM computer in Charlies living room that he started putting together from back in the day. It has vacuum tubes, and everything. His modem is a tin can hooked to the harddrive with a tight string. Charlie, before ya leave, please get an upgrade so you can keep up with us here. Don't be cheap, even the cow computer place don't take peas as payment.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

My little brother is retiring.   My goodness that makes me feel old.  

I remember when I would have to hire a new computer operator and their application reported their birthday  as 1965.  I would would be stunned and wonder, "why in the world isn't this kid in school?"  Then I would realize that he was 25 years old and I would begin to wonder where all MY years went.

Charles, you have spent two Educational cycles with IBM.  33 years would get you from first grade through a 4 year college education twice !

I can still picture Charlie in diapers, and playing cowboys and indians in the street, and proudly wearing his yellow Lions Club Little League uniform where he was a catcher and his Cadet Private uniform on his first day at Georgia Military College, and his skinned up knuckles and face when he ran an off-side kick back as the tackle on the GMC Bulldogs (gotta tell that story),  and his souped up Mercury Comet that was identical to his friends 6 cylinder (they would sandbag drags) and then he was hired onto the railroad as the youngest conductor on the Fl. East Coast Railroad, and then to IBM where I was so proud of him for having succeeded to the point of being hired by such a huge organization.

Now, he is retiring...........I'm so proud of him I could bust.
                                                   ;D

Way to go Charlie

Kevin

Adda boy Chucky.
I`m looking forward to that day too, you lucky son of a gun.
Congratulations!

Frank_Pender

Charlie, don';t let them get your goat.    They asre just full of envy or something;)  ;).   You will enjoy your time.  I doknow tht for sure.  I retired three years ago from teaching 7th graders for 30 years.  I do miss working with the children, :'( but not the beaurocratic "stuff".   8)  You too, may find the same sort of senario in your world upon this retirement.  However, becareful of friends, relatives, and strangers offering payment of the form of a "can of peas". :D  
   In all seriousness, congradulations on staying with a profession for that amount of time.  It is becomeing a very uncommon part of much of our society, today to find that sort of alligience to most anything for such a duration.  The very best of good fortune to you in this new mode of life.  Again is is a very fun time of Being. ;)
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

Right behind you Charlie!  

I just past my 30 year mark with one of the big companies.  But at 51, I've got a looooooong way to go until even early retirement.  :'(  I just hope I can live, stand, or last the few more years until I can take early retirement.   ::)

It's about a joke around the office that if you are male, of European ancestry and between 52 and 54 -  it's like you've got a bull's-eye on your back for getting a tap on the shoulder for the last walk down to HR when they are "downsizing".  Especially if you are our spouse has a chronic health problem (THE 8!@#%^&*!).   For some,  the transition has been difficult to a disaster.  Others have gone on to start their own business or get involved in things they've always wanted to do and are much happier.   ;)

Sorry for the venting...  >:(

We are all happy for you.  Congratulations!  But now you won't have nearly as much time to add to the Forum!

8) 8)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

L. Wakefield

Probably not last, certainly not least- may your company and your own common sense have arranged a GOOD retirement package- no Enron in there, buddy!   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Sell the gold watch they give ya (It probably won't be real anyway) and follow a passion.  Good Luck!!!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

DanG

Congratulations, Charlie!!! 8) 8)

33 years is a long time. I know, because, come next week, I'll have 32 years in with these greedy 8!@#%^&*.  I'm mighty proud of anybody that gets out without a toe tag.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Papa Dave

Congratulations Charlie,  I have been working for someone or another for 36 years and no end in sight, but am happy for you. :) :) :)

Perhaps, you should consider purchasing a sawmill, so you can be as happy as we are.  Then you could get Tom to offbear for you.

CHARLIE

DonP, no big plans yet. Immediate plans are woodworking in my workshop and come Spring, some fishing. I'm sure I'll get an easy part time job sometime down the road just to keep me busy.
Jeff, I'm thinking about upgrading my old slow home computer. I just might do that.  ::)
Tom, I'd forgotten about some of that stuff. Especially the cars. That was fun setting up a drag race and showing them that we were going to blow their doors off with a 6 cylinder, then switch to my car and blow their doors off. ;D I still need you to write some words of recommendations for me as an offloader.;D
Thanks Kevin and Frank.....I feel lucky and I'm going to do my best to enjoy myself.
Bibbyman and DanG, y'all know what it's like working for a big heartless corporation and know that I'm not going to miss the work. But there are a bunch of great people out here that I will miss.
LW, the new IBM has pretty much wrecked the pension plan, but I was fortunate and was able to keep the old pension plan. It's not a great one but is suffiecient and my 401K was not invested in Enron...so I'm OK there.
Bud_Man, they don't give us a gold watch here, just a boot in the butt. :o
PapaDave, I'll probably stick to my tablesaw and bandsaw in my shop. I've got arthritis a little too bad to be thinking about getting into being a sawyer. If Tom would write me some words of recommendations as an offloader, I might consider doing that though...if the brand of peas were right.   :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gordon

Congrts Charlie, that long with I"ve been moved and you sure do deserve some rest time. ;)

I think you will find that you will be busier once you retire than you are now. So sit back enjoy and do what comes natural now that you won't be so tied down.

Yoga might be something fun to take up.  8) 8) 8)

Enjoy it
Gordon

Jeff

I have this horrible picture in my mind now. Thanks a lot Gordo.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

psychotic1

Charlie,  Tell 'em it's gotta be home-grown peas fresh from the garden or you ain't liftin one single board.

Congratulations and enjoy the time you've earned.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

timberbeast

Congratulations,  Charlie!!! 8) 8) Peas be with you!!! :)
Where the heck is my axe???

Don P

Thanks Jeff :D Now I got Charlie all contorted
A bumper sticker has just popped into my mind after that
Visualize whirled peas

woodmills1

yes come up here and work, peas in july, home grown.  work much harder than fla. weather or not. :D not really work much harder than fla just feels like it with different trees.  better peas though :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gordon

Jeff now that I think about it that is a scary picture, poor Charlie all bent up like a pretzel---Charlie maybe you should re-think the yoga idea. Maybe just some arobic workouts for a new hobby is a better idea.

That better Jeff? :D

Gordon

RavioliKid

Charlie,

Congratulations! I hope all your ducks are in a row and that your retirement from the "Blue Zoo" will go swimmingly!

8)
RavioliKid

CHARLIE

Thanks Gordon, I'll have to pass on the yoga 'cause I don't bend very well and aerobics? ???  As for being tied up and doing what comes naturally.....hmmmmmm 8) 8) 8)
Also thanks to Pyschotic1 and Timberbeast and DonP again, I've got my wooden spoon already so all I'll need is a can o' peas. Tom never gave me fresh garden peas.....I might 'Work' harder for them.

Well Ravioli, I did have my ducks in a row, but then I shot every DanG one of 'em. Hey everybody! I'm having a duck feed at my house. I'm hoping my retirement will go swimmingly....unless I'm fishing and then I want to stay in da boat....It's going to be all new. I'm going to have to learn to plan my own days now..... ::)
ve  T
Charlie

woodmills1

peas don't come in just cans ya know.  they could be frozen too. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

OK, peas... I let this go by once, twice, but it is TIME- to take the peas and run with them...

The best DanG peas, in my 'umble opinion, are Tall Telephone Pole, (aka Alderman according to some). We always grow them and also sugar snap. The TTP grow higher than my head in some cases- and the pods are 4-6" long- the peas are HUGE and we just feast.. :D :D   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

CHARLIE

LW, it sounds like someone just might work as little extra harder for some o' them telephone pole peas.
Hey Woodmills, that's what we grow in Minnesota during the wintertime......Frozen Peas and Iceberg Lettuce. :D :D :D
Charlie

Bruce

Congratulations Charlie, you made it to the top the hard way.  Now that you may have some free time on your hand what will you do besides go where the wind may blow you?
Bruce

Thank You Sponsors!