iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick boat wood question

Started by backwoods sawyer, January 06, 2015, 03:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

Customer has large white oak logs 10'-14' and is wanting all 3x6 cants so he can resaw to 3x1/4 and laminate back together for the ribs of his boat, no sap wood but was uncurtin of grain orientation on the 3x6 piece.

Seems to me flat sawn on the 3" face would be the correct orientation  ???

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodyone.john

Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

bandmiller2

Backwoods, I'am no authority but it seems to me alternate layers of flat and quarter sawn would be the strongest for ribs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Second try, got kicked out, almost hate slow internet ;D  but I would have to say again, I would question flat sawn, only because I've messed around with it on the thin side, cracking is an issue, I know folks use it after steaming, with great results, mine have not been so good.  I do lean more to the quarter sawn approach, especially after seeing how barrel stock is used.  Just a thought, wish I could give a guaranteed answer on this one.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

If he doesn't know what grain orientation he wants, don't go on the maiden voyage. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

Customer got back with with me and confirmed he wanted Quarter sawn on the 3" face.
So we hit the road and milled out a 3,000 bft boat package today.
First cople logs looked like this log, then the size dropped off. 

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Healthy log there Backwoods. Almost as big as the tractor.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

It was about all the mill wanted to lift. We added a tag line to the log for a little assist in loading.

The butt swell was well into the upper 40,s". Trimmed down to 14' and 38" on the but end.

Always like to have logs like that on the mill ;)

Thank You Sponsors!