iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Climbing Experience

Started by crtreedude, September 05, 2004, 12:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leweee

Fla_Deadheader... Sounds like your a man of many UPS & DOWNS. :D   Couldn't resist that one.  ;D leweee :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, I used ta could do a lot more. Lately it's mostly down. ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

leweee

Oldtimer once told me "Old age  isn't kind" I'am at that age now were I believe him. :( Parts just don't work like they used to. Eyes, ,joints , etc....I'am learning to pace myself, things take longer to accomplish...but slow and steady wins the race. :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Stephen_Wiley

CR,

Climbing is only 1/3 of the knowledge involved in working in trees. The other 2/3's is knowing health and structural issues of the species you are climbing, specifically knowing the many ways a tree can structurally fail, recognizing suttle symptoms of bark, root and stem weaknesses, proper pruning techniques.

Kevin has recommended a couple of books good for the climbing aspect. But do not underestimate the potential of problems arising from the aforementioned. Make certain you have a basic understanding of root diseases, bark diseases (on more than one occasion I have rescued climbers for ignoring this) and other structural failure signs. Note branch ratio to trunk size can greatly determine a safe climb.  Also time of year (sap flow) can reduce the strength of branches.

Further, over thinning is just as harmful to tree health as is topping.

The more informed you are the better chance you will have of reducing risk to your health and the trees.

:P :P :P
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

farmerdoug

CRT,

Did you ever get around to climbing your trees?  I figure by now you have the locals swinging from the trees like tree monkeys. :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Kevin

Good response Stephen.
There are many experienced tree climbers that get hurt every year and we end up losing a few as well.
Listen to that gut feeling, if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't safe.

Ed_K

You can have everything right and the gut will still say no.Thats why I have all the right climbing gear stored in a duffel bag and don't climb any higher than the roof of the skidder to hang a chocker  ;D.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Just fell'm on top of the skidder and forward them like lewee does. Don't need no cable. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rebocardo

> This happened  to a very experienced treeclimber from Tuftonboro NH.

Same thing happened in MA about two years ago, experienced guy working by himself basically cut his own head off.

Do you remember hearing about the guy in NH last year that decided using a chainsaw on a ladder was a good idea and killed his wife? Kicked back out of his hands and fell running on his wife's head while she was steadying the ladder.

Thank You Sponsors!