iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brace mortice layout

Started by Angusga, June 25, 2020, 02:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angusga

I've been around timber frames for years.  I've only built one myself though, and it was done with scribe rule.  I'm working on a deck/porch now with square rule layout.  I  have a question about Knee braces.  I'm measuring from reference faces on one side of post timbers that have braces coming in from both sides.  I'm thinking to inset the braces on the other side by measuring the same way, but from the non reference side.  My perfect timber dimension is 7.5".  Is there a problem with doing it that way?  here is the front view timber layout plan.

flyingparks

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm thinking to inset the braces" but as long as your consistent, you should be fine. As in, if you are measuring from your non reference side make sure you do it from your post AND beam. Could cause unnecessary confusion IMO

Ljohnsaw

The point of the reference face is just that, it is your reference face!  You would let in your brace on the non-reference face but measure from the reference.  That way if your "actual" post varies in width, it does not matter.  You have a housing the might vary a little but your brace will fit correctly.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim_Rogers

In a situation where you have opposing braces you still put them flush to the outside surface.
to layout and cut the brace pocket on the reference face you just measure in 1/2" similar to the opposite side.
Adjust your brace pocket in the plate to be the correct distance from the 90° corner and your diagonal will be correct.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Angusga

Thank you very much for these responses.  It's making sense to me now.  I've realized that measuring from the 90 degree corner is what makes it work. 

iosborne

In Jim's diagram with the plate, post and braces, can someone point out where the starting points are for the brace pockets on the plate.  Thanks

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: iosborne on March 02, 2022, 07:15:54 PM
In Jim's diagram with the plate, post and braces, can someone point out where the starting points are for the brace pockets on the plate.  Thanks
The brace layout on the plate starts at the post shoulder on the none reference side of the post. And measures out, in the below drawing to the left.

In the above picture labeled "B".
For the brace on the reference side of the post, it is set back 1/2" from the intersection of the post and the plate at the housing. In the above picture labeled "A".
The distance is the same vertically and horizontally to create a right triangle.
Does that help you?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!