iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off-road log trailer build

Started by mjeselskis, February 19, 2021, 02:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Progress update:
I decided to skip the 15" wheels and truck tires and go straight to the skid steer wheels that I picked up at an auction a few years ago for this reason.

I had 4 wheel adapters cut on the waterjet at a local fab shop out of 1/2" steel. I was wondering if my cad drawing would be accurate, but they came out great.

Final product for now until I find a small log loader and/or dump bed.

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Crusarius

I think the tires outweight the trailer :)

Looks great.

thecfarm

You sure did do a great job on that trailer!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Man, this is rock solid beautiful! Nicely done! I think the skidder tires are the best choice anyway. Super duper job, I am truly impressed with how slick this looks. Clean and solid.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Crusarius on March 29, 2021, 06:20:20 PM
I think the tires outweight the trailer :)

Looks great.
Haha, they may be overkill, but I won't overload them. Each one is rated at over 5k lbs. Plus, they have much less ground pressure than the skinny tires that were on it

Andries

So, until you find a log loader/knuckle boom, you need to improvise.
I see Big John loading the parked trailer with the grapple, then hitching up to the trailer with the logging winch and heading back to the ranch. 
Nice work, from the tyres up! 👍👍👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

mjeselskis

Quote from: Andries on March 29, 2021, 08:15:08 PM
So, until you find a log loader/knuckle boom, you need to improvise.
I see Big John loading the parked trailer with the grapple, then hitching up to the trailer with the logging winch and heading back to the ranch.
Nice work, from the tyres up! 👍👍👍
6 months later... Finally found time to use the trailer today. I went out to get an 18" dbh Aspen to saw out for trim boards. Overall, the trailer worked great. The walking beam axles proved their value over rocks and stumps.
Some things I learned:
- Turning around in the woods is a challenge. 
- Need to throw a strap over the logs. I left the woods with 4 logs and got to the sawmill with 3. One slid off the front going down a hill.
- Definitely need to figure out a crane or loader of some sort. Trying to find room to drop the trailer and load with the grapple isn't practical on most trails. I could drag the logs out to the yard where there is more room, but that defeats the point of the trailer. Trying to keep the logs clean and trails not all dug up.

thecfarm

Turning around in the woods is always a challenge even with out a trailer. The loader sticks out in front to much. I do have a few woods road that I can circle around. But I have some that dead end too.
Glad you like it. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on September 30, 2021, 09:14:58 PM
Turning around in the woods is always a challenge even with out a trailer. The loader sticks out in front to much. I do have a few woods road that I can circle around. But I have some that dead end too.
Glad you like it.
I have some loop trails. Unfortunately, the good trees are always at the narrow end of a dead end trail 😁

barbender

I just drove by another "cable jammer" loader this morning. They were very popular before the advent of hydraulic loaders, mostly they were mounted behind the cab of 2 ton trucks but I've seen them mounted on trailers behind ag tractors as well. The only loader is basically a vertical mast, with an adjustable horizontal job boom. A winch operated cable runs out the jib to lift the loads. There were both factory and home made units.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

The 2 wheelers turn vastly easier than 4 wheelers, if you mean force wise.  Thats why mine is a single axle. 

My jammer works pretty well but i think it might be dangerous with a pto winch.  Electric winch is slow and has automatic brake so nothing gets too exciting too quickly. 
Praise The Lord

melezefarmer

Very nicely done.

I hope to build an almost exact replica of your trailer. 

Thanks and cheers

Thank You Sponsors!