Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I have about 20 of them laying around.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Crusarius on March 07, 2021, 08:56:19 PM
I have about 20 of them laying around.
If only you were closer. I've been looking in FB marketplace and CL, but I think the main issue is that there aren't many trucks on the road that still use 15" tires. I'll try running a wanted ad to see what I can find.
The other option is the set of 4 bobcat tires and rims that I have set aside for this, but I still need to make some adapters to bolt them on to these hubs. 
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mike_belben

Most woods jeeps run a 31 to 35" mud tire on 15" rim.  Id use cj, xj and yj in your searches.  Or check the classifieds of 4wd forums.  NEOW and deepwoods extreme have a lot of members in your area.
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: mjeselskis on March 07, 2021, 12:07:06 PMI still need to pick up some 15" tires, but finding used 15" truck tires is no easy task these days.

Just curious what kind of load rating you are looking for. How much do yo think your loaded trailer will weigh?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mjeselskis

Quote from: John Mc on March 08, 2021, 10:26:48 AM
Quote from: mjeselskis on March 07, 2021, 12:07:06 PMI still need to pick up some 15" tires, but finding used 15" truck tires is no easy task these days.

Just curious what kind of load rating you are looking for. How much do yo think your loaded trailer will weigh?
Empty weight is probably around 1000lbs. I doubt it will see over 6,000lbs loaded, but I did the tongue weight calcs based on an overload of 10,000lbs.  I'm shooting for some 10 ply tires that should be rated around 2,500lb load rating.

PoginyHill

@mjeselskis , I have five 15" tires from a Jeep that I've had on Craigslist. No rims. Not sure if they are Passenger or Light Truck. I can check if you're interested.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike_belben

235/85/16 is a much higher load rating and prevalent range E truck tire.  A honda accord or toyota camry 5 lug 16" rim with the center bored out (5 on 114) fits 5 lug trailer (5 on 4.5)  same as cherokee, ford ranger, f150 etc so those 16" black steelie rims will work too.   The fwd car rims have a lot of offset and can be flipped for wide mode or narrow track. I just hit the lug holes with a countersink to mount them backward so they still center well.  Boring the centers makes them lugcentric.. No big deal imo.  

My junkbuilt forwarding trailer takes a cord of hardwood no problem on 2 wheels.  33x13.5x15 swampers on a 3500lb trailer axle
Praise The Lord

mjeselskis

Quote from: mike_belben on March 08, 2021, 01:26:16 PM
235/85/16 is a much higher load rating and prevalent range E truck tire.  A honda accord or toyota camry 5 lug 16" rim with the center bored out (5 on 114) fits 5 lug trailer (5 on 4.5)  same as cherokee, ford ranger, f150 etc so those 16" black steelie rims will work too.   The fwd car rims have a lot of offset and can be flipped for wide mode or narrow track. I just hit the lug holes with a countersink to mount them backward so they still center well.  Boring the centers makes them lugcentric.. No big deal imo.  

My junkbuilt forwarding trailer takes a cord of hardwood no problem on 2 wheels.  33x13.5x15 swampers on a 3500lb trailer axle
Good info on the Honda wheels. I agree that 235/85/16 is much more prevalent. If Cherokee and ranger wheels fit, I might be able to find a worn set of stock wheels from someone upgrading. Right now, I was just trying to use the 15's that came with it to save some time. If the tires on these were any good, I'd just run them for now but the rubber is so hard and dry rotted, they don't like to seal to the rim

Quote from: PoginyHill on March 08, 2021, 11:43:13 AM
@mjeselskis , I have five 15" tires from a Jeep that I've had on Craigslist. No rims. Not sure if they are Passenger or Light Truck. I can check if you're interested.
Thank you. I'll try to find some closer, but I'll let you know if I end up looking at a road trip.

mike_belben

If you can break the beads, DAP weldwood contact cement will seal them right up.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

cj = 5 on 5.5 lug pattern
tj, yj, xj = 5 on 4.5
wj = 5 on 5.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Crusarius on March 08, 2021, 04:55:45 PM
cj = 5 on 5.5 lug pattern
tj, yj, xj = 5 on 4.5
wj = 5 on 5.
Good to know. I've only had TJ's and YJ's so I figured they were all 5x4.5

Crusarius

MJ also 5 on 4.5.

btw I have this giant useless knowledge section in my brain and its mostly filled with jeep specs :)

basically any jeep from 87-2006 was 5 on 4.5 with the exception of the wj that started in 99 that was 5 on 5
Did I mention I have enough parts in my shed to build a complete jeep? and you guys thought sawdust addiction was bad :) 

Tacotodd

Don't worry, auto parts store addiction is JUST as bad!
Trying harder everyday.

Crusarius

you know its bad when you walk in, go behind the counter, go grab what you want, and take it to the register :)

Not that I have ever done that before. :)

Tacotodd

I've only had a few that even want to do that, and when they did, well, let's just say only a small % even came CLOSE to getting the right part. They soon said, umm, will you get me the right part. All that I could do was laugh and get the part. It was a very subdued laugh, but enough to where they laughed as well. I miss talking to SOME of my customers, but not very many.
Trying harder everyday.

Walnut Beast

This is what we are going to transform into a log trailer 😂

Tacotodd

Looks like it might be easy to overload it. I might be wrong, but I've pulled my little utility trailer that's a 4x12 platform that I did not think was over loaded, but the 3x4 ton diesel truck that was pulling it said otherwise. Either that, or the guy was trying to make me feel good/bad about heavily loading it like I did. Either way, I'll not be loading as much as I did!
Trying harder everyday.

Ed_K

I use a hay wagon trailer just like that with bunk across the front an back. It's had no problem with 6 30 pine logs on. I have a rease hitch on the Tajfun winch that I welded into the back plate to haul the wagon.
Ed K

mjeselskis

The hitch arrived. Let's just say, I don't think it's the weak point on the trailer. 

It's going through two pieces of 1" steel (one is out of sight inside the tongue) with a heavy lock washer and castle nut on the backside. It swivels, but has enough resistance to not spin freely and lose orientation.

It's just about done, just need to throw tires on it.

thecfarm

Looks good!!!
How are you putting the logs on to it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on March 14, 2021, 08:28:36 PM
Looks good!!!
How are you putting the logs on to it?
Thanks, a small pulp loader is on the frugal wish list, but for now, I'll drop the trailer and load it with the grapple on the tractor. I may try building a "dead header log lifter" like this one so I can pull a few logs on over the tail with the farmi
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=17613.0

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mjeselskis

Quote from: mike_belben on March 14, 2021, 09:45:27 PM
Looks great man. Nice work.
Thanks Mike. Appreciate the thoughts along the way.

Walnut Beast

Absolutely 💪 looks good. I'm glad you listened to Mike on the Pintle 👍

Thank You Sponsors!