iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame side to side movement

Started by bannerd, September 21, 2021, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannerd

Good day!

Currently building a small timber frame home at 1473sqft, been at it for two years and getting close to a roof.  I have some side to side movement at the 30ft wide mark.  Long ways at the 50ft I get almost nothing there.  I plan on doing larsen trusses but I'm not sure that will help me here.  This is my first larsen truss home but perhaps it would be enough to prevent movement.  Generally sip panels would be ideal which would get bolted into the frame BUT the costs are very high.

I have knees and girts installed at the 30ft mark which should prevent this but it still moves which it shouldn't.  I could be wrong as I'm not an PE but I think it's too much (1" to 1 1/2" movement per plumb bob).  Also, inside walls are not framed either which would give me more support in that area, looking for ideas to brace this or what is acceptable. 

bannerd

Don P

I see studded walls, do they have temporary diagonal bracing? Basically I would lock it up plumb with temporary bracing to hold it in place while you get dry, then get some sheathing on the exterior as soon as you can.

bannerd

Thanks, I went through the top floor and just put bracing (A frame) right down the middle.  I did the same on the first floor so hoping that will help out.  We have a wind storm in bound so I'm happy the extra bracing is up.

I do have some 2x16x16 that I might just bolt right into the sill and into the beams on both the bottom and midway to the second floor.

Thank You Sponsors!