Cherry tree with black knot

Started by mcattack86, September 28, 2021, 02:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcattack86

Hi all,

We have a black cherry tree that is covered in what appears to be black knot fungus (to the best of my amateur googling skills). I'd estimate that the tree is 50 feet tall and is absolutely covered in these galls, all the way to the top. Removing all affected limbs would take nearly all the leaves with them. If this is fungus, we're concerned that this could spread to other trees/plants or that it could kill the tree, with risk of it falling. How concerned should we be about those risks? Would you advise that we preemptively remove the tree?

We haven't noticed this on other trees nearby, and I don't believe the trees immediately nearby are cherry or plum trees that are particularly vulnerable to this. 

I've included a few pictures, including one of its surface roots that show some rotting and a tree cavity about 15 feet up.  We'd hate to lose the shade, but also would not want this to spread or fall on something.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information, thanks!

Greg

GullyBog

I agree it is black knot fungus which won't kill a cherry quickly.  The stem cavity is more problematic it could fail at any time, or last for years.  Noticing the swing set I imagine the same cavity is one of the best things about the tree.  The root damage is also a long term problem but not a death sentence.  I have clipped some of the worst black knot off yard cherries and burned it but it's a similar situation where the tree is too infested to remove it all.  If the damaged roots are getting worse I would consider cutting them off with a lopper.  I wouldn't want to try and remove a big root though and just let it ride.  A good place for GI Joes to dig in.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside