iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any idea what this is?

Started by Old Greenhorn, October 10, 2021, 05:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

I came across this at a flea market in southern VT today. The seller had no idea what it is. It has a large lifting eye at the far end and those barbs slip out when the handle is activated.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Harpoon style hay spear. Jammed into a bale from the top, prongs extend to grab hold. Rope ties to Lifting eye, then lifts up to hay trolley in barn roof. (My guess anyways). ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Yeah that is the first guess for most folks but a consultation with an old timer from the farm museum says those prongs are way too short to do that. He thought more likely used in whaling possibly flensing work.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

IndiLina

Based off of just Googling, a lot of the hay harpoons don't look to have been designed to go too deep or have wide arms.

Edit: actually, I probably misinterpreted the example pic I posted. I suppose this one could go deeper. 
Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

gspren

I believe that's a watchamacallit, thingamajig, dohicky. And a fine specimen at that!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mike_belben

Oh thats an old hemorrhoid bander, weve come a long way! 

I dont know.. Its pretty funky.  Seems like some type of well casing puller or something like that. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Or some type of self centering scribe tool.  Im better the eyelet up top is for a wooden handle for two men to spin.  
Praise The Lord

Resonator

QuoteHe thought more likely used in whaling possibly flensing work.
OK Greenhorn, I might change my answer. Instead of a bale harpoon it might be a whale harpoon. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

low_48

My first thought was a carcass hanger for butchering.

Patrick NC

My vote is hay harpoon for a hay trolley.  For unloading loose stacked hay into a barn. One of the early ones before the 2 and 4 prong grapples. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Gary_C

That thing could not lift enough hay to make it worthwhile to have. More than likely it's some kind of manhole or grate lifter
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

21incher

My guess is it is a wood barrel bunghole lifting tool that was used to load the empty whale oil barrels on the ships. You drop it in the hole, the fingers orient it on the radius plus keep it from going in to far and lever clamps it in place with the swinging jaws. Then it would  be easy to stack the empty  ones on a deck with a block and tackle jib crane. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Patrick NC

Quote from: Gary_C on October 11, 2021, 05:24:11 AM
That thing could not lift enough hay to make it worthwhile to have. More than likely it's some kind of manhole or grate lifter
One of the old barns on my dad's farm still has the old hay trolley and harpoon hay fork from when they used to put up loose hay. Built circa 1820 about 3 hours from where @Old Greenhorn found this. The early ones like this one were not as efficient as the later designs,  but I promise that's what it is. A rope was attached to the eye in top to hoist it up into the lift and a smaller rope was attached to the eye on the handle to release the load. You would stab the forked end as far into the load of hay as you could and then pull the handle to clamp it down.  The old timers told me that you could get between 50 and 70 pounds of loose hay per trip. Which was then hoisted into the hay loft by human power.  Later grapple systems could get up to 300 pounds per trip and were hoisted by horses. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

mike_belben

i guess it looks like the swinging levers do reach all the way over to the thin tines, so it probably would grapple a decent bit of loose hay and also release it well.  the release part of the equation probably explains the spoon bit shape.
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Yes, after posting this yesterday 4 of us adults, armed with various beverages of our own choosing spent about 4 hours down in this rabbit hole. I did indeed find a historical description of the tool and it's operation. The reference I found said that this device, called a  'hay spear or harpoon' would in fact lift "a surprising amount of hay". So I apologize to those who, like me, first guessed correctly and I steered you wrong. I was right the first time, but then decided I made a mistake, which I am herein correcting. I never did ask the guy what he wanted for it though. >:(

scsmith42

Quote from: gspren on October 10, 2021, 07:50:29 PM
I believe that's a watchamacallit, thingamajig, dohicky. And a fine specimen at that!
Nah, it's a widget....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: 21incher on October 11, 2021, 07:54:12 AM
My guess is it is a wood barrel bunghole lifting tool that was used to load the empty whale oil barrels on the ships. You drop it in the hole, the fingers orient it on the radius plus keep it from going in to far and lever clamps it in place with the swinging jaws. Then it would  be easy to stack the empty  ones on a deck with a block and tackle jib crane.

That is am amazing response. Succinct. Clear. Enough big words and diction to impress the masses. Very well done. 

I was wondering if you pulled it out of your "bunghole" on short notice. :D (Sorry - the devil made me say that. No offense intended.) 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Yeah I was impressed by that also. However, that 'spoon' on the end is around 4" wide and would not fit in a bung hole (not any I've seen anyway). It just took a while to find a reliable historical reference to confirm it as a nay harpoon. There are a million 'opinion references' on the internet and sometimes very few real historical references that I will trust.

Patrick NC

Next time I go to visit my parents in Northern New York,  I'll take a picture of one that looks almost exactly like it along with the carriage and track it runs on. All it needs is new rope and some poor fool ( not me! ) to gather up a bunch of loose hay and it could be put back in service. 

aigheadish

I would have bought it in a heartbeat! Pretty cool, even if I had no idea what it was!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!