iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hauling Lucas rails on pickup ladder rack

Started by blackhawk, October 25, 2021, 09:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhawk

Hello All,

New member here in Virginia.  I just ordered a Lucas 7-23!  I plan to haul it in my full size 3/4 ton Chevy short bed, extended cab truck.  My plan was to buy a ladder rack to haul the 20' rails.  Since I have a short bed, I was wondering if a standard rack that mounts over the bed only would be OK?  Or do I need to buy a rack that extends over my cab for added support?

The kicker is that I want to be able to remove the ladder rack when I am not going to be using the mill.  The over the cab racks are all fairly heavy, so they would be a 2 man job.  I really would like to be able to remove and install the rack by myself.

Thanks!
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

Don P

7' hanging off each end... maybe, but not my rails. We carry them on a 14' trailer and throw a 6x6 across the tail of the trailer to pick the dangling rear of the rails up higher for creek crossings etc. I like the overhead idea for that but on a rough road I think you might kink them grabbing so short. A drive under swingset to lift the rack and hang it at truck height?

WV Sawmiller

We used to haul 21' top rail for a chain link fence business Dad had as I was growing up. I'd use the extended/over the cab rack.

I'd think if you have a handy limb or built a simple rack you could pull under and lift each end and load/unload by yourself without too much trouble.

My younger brother was unloading one after I left home. He had put the back end on the ground and was letting Mom drive out from under it while he walked the front end off but got impatient and tried to throw it off and it came back and broke his leg. Not the smartest thing he ever did.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

If it was me I would look at getting a used boat trailer instead. Much easier loading and unloading, and you wouldn't have to worry about 7' of overhang.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Nomad

My truck is a full size long bed.  My rack extends over the cab.  I routinely load the beams alone; no problem.  I leave about 2' hanging off the back and the rest reaches the front of my hood.  Never had a problem.
     Wanting to remove the rack when you're not using it would be problematic though.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WV Sawmiller

Actually, loading and unloading should not be a problem for one person. Make yourself a couple of pairs of uprights like 4X4s about 8-9 ft apart and drive between then. Loosen the fasteners on the rack to the truck, put a cross piece under the bottom of the rack rails at the back of the rack, lift the crosspiece a couple of inches and fasten it to the uprights with a pin or putting it in a slot built for that purpose. Repeat using a second crosspiece at the front using the second set of uprights. The racks aren't all that heavy to lift one end at a time but they are awkward to handle alone. To reinstall just do the same in reverse, back the truck under the rack on the uprights and lift one end at a time and lower into place and fasten. The crosspieces could be a couple of 2X4s or pipe and do not have to be that heavy. You only have to lift each end of the rack a couple of inches to clear the truck bed.

I am confident even an old fat man like me could unload them as described above.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

blackhawk

I had seen this photo on the forum.  I'm sure this is a long bed truck though.  The over cab rack won't be a deal breaker.  You guys had good suggestions on how to take it off and on my truck.  I think that I can come up with an idea.  

I definitely don't want another trailer.  I already have two.  Too much hassle in Virginia, sales tax and then property tax until the day you die.
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

chep

You'll be fine with a short rack. I haul my Lucas on my tacoma and rails have no issues. They are pretty rugged

APope

I have hauled a 17 foot canoe on a standard bed Luv pickup. My rack covered the bed area behind the cab. The front was supported with a brace from the front bumper to the front cross brace on the canoe. Used a ratchet strap to hold the front stable against the brace. Another ratchet strap held the back end to the rear bumper.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

Don P

Can you get a vertical pipe "socket" in or on the front bumper, passenger side. Drop in and pin a smaller diameter single vertical pipe in the socket, it has a level crosspiece at rack height with 2 vertical ears for nesting and strapping the rails.

Thank You Sponsors!