iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain mortiser Makita 7104L from japan

Started by Algorythm, March 12, 2022, 03:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Algorythm

Hi,

I am currently lookign for a 7104L chain mortiser. I can see many listed on Ebay but coming from Japan. They say it is 100volt 50-60 Hz. Would this work here in NA? We use 120volt 60Hz if I am correct.

Thank you,
Frank

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: Algorythm on March 12, 2022, 03:40:45 PM
Hi,

I am currently lookign for a 7104L chain mortiser. I can see many listed on Ebay but coming from Japan. They say it is 100volt 50-60 Hz. Would this work here in NA? We use 120volt 60Hz if I am correct.

Thank you,
These are the spec's I found for that.
Specifications
[th]Mortising depth:[/th]
7-1/8"
[th]Mortising width:[/th]
1-15/16" by 9/16" to 15/16"
[th]Clamp capacity:[/th]
3-1/8" to 12-1/8"
[th]Nominal speed - no load:[/th]
3,200 rpm
[th]Motor:[/th]
120 V
[th]Current:[/th]
10.5 A
[th]Weight:[/th]
38 lbs
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Don P

I looked at the motor plate on mine. It says 120 volt 50-60 hz. My guess is you are fine. Also it is short intermittent run times.

Algorythm

Ok, thank you for the info. I wanted to make sure I am not spending over 1k grand on something that wont work properly.
Frank

Don P

Quote from: Don P on March 14, 2022, 06:27:34 PM
My guess is you are fine.
Quote from: Algorythm on March 16, 2022, 07:50:42 AM
I wanted to make sure

We don't have that. @Al_Smith I'm assuming this is a pretty tolerant motor of voltage and frequency. I believe you have the know how here, am I reading it right?

kantuckid

Hi,

Thank you,
It says: 100-110v not 100! just looked at the pictures.  That Japanese cutter chain looks harder to deal with when dull as compared to a chain mortiser using chainsaw style chain?
I see no logic to that tool being shipped for "free expedited shipping outside the USA" as stated? In todays world it costs a lot to ship stuff far lighter and smaller than that tool!!! I recnetly bought  mobile Dish Playmaker TV satt. with receiver and about the same size shipped from GA, not Japan-lady seller regretted the deal once she saw her S/H costs. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Al_Smith

Due to the  fact it was on flea bay often the specs are not entirely accurate .Fact some times this off shore stuff can be operated at reasonably close voltages . For example 100 to 120 volts .I would assume it uses a universal motor with brushes and if so it would just produce slightly more power on 120 as it would be on 100 volts .
Here is another example .Say you have a Skil type saw used for carpentry work rated at 120 volts but you have it plugged into a 100 foot drop cord of maybe number 14 wire .Because of the length and small gauge that saw might only have 100 volts at the point of usage but it will still operate at slightly reduced power .Just like a chainsaw keep a sharp blade and don't crowd it and it should do fine .--However I took the liberty of looking up the specs on this tool and it says 120 volts from what info I found .

kantuckid

google search came up with one new Makita 7104L for $168. ::) It says it's in FL but the phone # AC is 918 which is OK. Seems a bit dicey huh?  :D
It's called: ulonet.com if you like to play bargain hunter. 

Andries

Those machines sell for 10x that amount. .  . that might be a typo for $1,680.00.
If not a typo, we'll, something doesn't smell right.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Algorythm

So, considering all of this, should I gamble on this or would I be best off just buying it new from the nearest shop. Or should I invest in something else? I find it odd as well that shipping is so cheap. Used chain mortiser are hard to find if not from japan. I have been searching for a while without finding any decent bargain.
Frank

kantuckid

On Ebay where I have done much business over the years-many, many parts buys for vehicles and machines and motorcycles, even several European buys, Overall, my experience is very favorable, but there have been some hiccups too. I long ago was instrumental in helping get a crook arrested and found guilty in Louisville, KY. I was one of several who'd bought either a non-existent welder or vacuum from him. If he'd been out of state, I'd never have been able to assist his prosecution. He had to pay court ordered restitution to me. 
Ebay feed backs are often instructive. I often message a seller then have their reply (or not) to further decide. Might also look & see if Ebay covers that sale with their own insurance in any way? They got to doing that but time factors in as does what's being sold. Vehicles as an e.g. are different rules.
My first thought, as already mentioned is that S/H is very high from Japan-thus how can they sell it for anything reasonable to begin with? Plus, if it's a no go, you sure can't send it back w/o a huge expense!
Read the mfg.'s info plate in the ad.   

kantuckid

Quote from: Andries on March 16, 2022, 10:46:59 AM
Those machines sell for 10x that amount. .  . that might be a typo for $1,680.00.
I see this phenomenon often when I search via google for stuff. Yea, I know how much the MSRP for... :D
FWIW:
While I was typing this, my cell phone interrupted me with a scam call from this bogus caller who uses a variety of names for a fictitious organization, that says they're raising money for a law enforcement charity. I actually asked during the call if it was a recording, or not, and the recording responded with-"we are using a recording for control purposes". It's a world full of the good, the bad and the ugly, huh? :D   

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: kantuckid on March 17, 2022, 08:59:00 AM
Quote from: Andries on March 16, 2022, 10:46:59 AM
I see this phenomenon often when I search via google for stuff. Yea, I know how much the MSRP for... :D
FWIW:
While I was typing this, my cell phone interrupted me with a scam call from this bogus caller who uses a variety of names for a fictitious organization, that says they're raising money for a law enforcement charity. I actually asked during the call if it was a recording, or not, and the recording responded with-"we are using a recording for control purposes". It's a world full of the good, the bad and the ugly, huh? :D  
I get a call, every once in a while. and he asks if "Richard is there?" I once said wrong number. Then he went on to ask for money for some organization. 
Now, when he calls I just reply "Richard died!". and hang up.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

cib

Quote from: Menagerie-Manor on March 12, 2022, 04:01:42 PM
Hi,

Thank you,
These are the spec's I found for that.
Specifications
[th]Mortising depth:[/th]

7-1/8"
[th]Mortising width:[/th]

1-15/16" by 9/16" to 15/16"
[th]Clamp capacity:[/th]

3-1/8" to 12-1/8"
[th]Nominal speed - no load:[/th]

3,200 rpm
[th]Motor:[/th]

120 V
[th]Current:[/th]

10.5 A
[th]Weight:[/th]

38 lbs

I have a 7100b and a 7104L makita and you're just fine running those on NA outlets. The life of the tool will not be dramatically altered in any way on 120v 60hz NA power. You can run them off a generator very comfortably as well. These tools don't have any electronics like in your cordless drills they are simply switches and electric motors designed to operate in a range of power as well as generally a +-10% over their sticker rating.

GRadice

To be completely safe, (not risk burning up the motor on the mortiser) you can buy a step down transformer to convert your 120v to 100v. I think that might be relatively cheap insurance but you can pencil it out for your situation.

Gary

Prizl tha Chizl

I'd like to hear how your purchase worked out, I've looked at these for the past year or so, and had figured I'd get a step down transformer and buy the unknown tool, but now that I'm ready to bite the bullet I found I'm waffling. 
I like to buy used when I can, not just to save money, but also on principal, buying used is a good fix for our throwaway culture and keeps good stuff out of the landfill. However, a couple of things came up for me, one is that I was unsure if there would be a customs/import hang up, also, in many of the photos the tools look pretty well used, and at near $1000 I'd still want to get a lot of life out of it, I'm using it for my business, not just a one time build. New, they are around $1700, and come with a sharp chain, ($500 value.) 
"The Woods Is My Church"

cib

Quote from: Prizl tha Chizl on March 28, 2022, 02:59:45 AM
I’d like to hear how your purchase worked out, I’ve looked at these for the past year or so, and had figured I’d get a step down transformer and buy the unknown tool, but now that I’m ready to bite the bullet I found I’m waffling.
I like to buy used when I can, not just to save money, but also on principal, buying used is a good fix for our throwaway culture and keeps good stuff out of the landfill. However, a couple of things came up for me, one is that I was unsure if there would be a customs/import hang up, also, in many of the photos the tools look pretty well used, and at near $1000 I’d still want to get a lot of life out of it, I’m using it for my business, not just a one time build. New, they are around $1700, and come with a sharp chain, ($500 value.)
They will run just fine on a generator and North American voltage. If it is a major concern to you you can get a converter but for most it isn't necessary. They're designed to run on 100-110v and 50-60Hz. North America increased from 110v to 120v around 20 years ago or so. It won't reduce the tool life in any meaningful way as these motors are designed to run on a the 100-110v plus a safety factor of +-10%. I've had no issues with mine running off a generator for several years now and it was used when I purchased it. These things are just a powercord, mechanical switch and a motor. The motors are very robust and can take a lot of power changes. You really have to run them way above their rated output to overheat the bearings in them or way under their power rating so they spin so slowly they don't cool properly and overheat. 

Here is a video of a 7100b on youtube running on North America power source:
Makita 7100b Mortiser for timber framing - YouTube

CJ

You could get away using it if only for short periods. The way appliances in North America are rated is to allow for a swing in voltage, so there will be leeway above and below the 120 volts. Usually there is a 110 - 130 forgiveness, not that voltages will drop to that margin. However, they could spike and if they do, it can inflict damage to electric appliances or power tools, and if you are talking 100 volts well I think the result would be severe enough render it toast. 
  There are options, however, for tools that are 100 volts you can purchase a step-down transformer that will accommodate that power level and then you can be assured that there won't be any unfortunate mishaps. Why take a chance on it if your plan is to use it long term? I, myself, would be tentative about it, and I have thought about buying one as well, but the reward isn't worth the risk. Proceed at your own discretion. 

Thank You Sponsors!