iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best shear for skid steer

Started by CLL, January 27, 2007, 09:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

We are in the process of buying a 65 horse skid steer and was wonderiing which name brand of shear seems to work best. Will be cutting 8-10" cedar. ???
Too much work-not enough pay.

Faron

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

CLL

Have just looked on internet, thought someone might be using one. Found one made in Iowa that seems to be ok. Don't know wether a single or double shear is best.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Faron

We just bought this one, and have used it a few days.  I can't say I know enough about any of them to say what is best, only what I have learned about this one.
I was impressed with the timberline, advertised at the left.  I felt we didn't neet the bigger capacity, and the Kansas Klipper fit our budget a little better.  Cedarman can probably help you some. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Cedarman

We bought the biggest we could get from the Tree Terminator at Plato Mo.  It is called a 20" shear and it will cut an even bigger tree when you know how.  We use it on cedar.  It works extremely well.  We have broken a few welds, but if you saw the trees and the number of trees that thing has taken down, you would know why. We beefed up a few spots. The welds broke because some 40 foot high monsters leaned back on the machine.  The knives are beveled so that the cutting head is pulled toward the ground making for a close cut.  Also, the unit has a grapple to hold the tree so that you can lay it down whereever you want it.  While holding the tree, you can take it and rub it on the stump which gets rid of the little spikes that occure sometimes when the tree breaks free from the stump.

Aaron would be glad to demonstrate the cutting of cedars in the Stillwater area of Ok.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Peakebrook

I have a Dymax 14 inch for my 280 JD.  It has two grapple arms and an accumulator arm.  I can grab one large tree, or multiple small trees, then move to an area and drop them.

I will warn you that the weakest hydraulic cylinder on the skid steer are the ones to dump with.  If you cut a large enough tree, tilt it back over the cab too far, you will not be able to dump it.  Been there, done that. :o

I have metal tracks over my tires, and would strongly recommend this set up for forestry work.
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Thank You Sponsors!