iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did you see "Dirty Jobs" last night?

Started by two saw, January 24, 2007, 10:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

two saw

Last night was a great episode of Dirty Jobs on the discovery channel.
Did any of you see it?
Mike Rowe, the host, was making barrels with a master cooper and then he went mule logging. Looked entirely too hazardous to me. I had thought about it not too long ago but after seeing that last night I don't think I want any parts of it.
What I really liked was the log loader on the single axel truck that they were using to transport the logs to the mill. I hope I was not the only one who watched it. I really did the job but it looked like it beat the H&LL out of the poor truck.
Quite interesting though I have never seen that loader configuration before.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Tom

Furby

Well, we have more the three sections in the forum, so expect more! :)

Tom

:D between this, drawbars and dirty jobs I'm not much help, am I .

low_48

I agree. When those mules felt the grapple hook, Katie bar the door...... :o They were off like a shot. That sure made for a wild start to getting the log straightened out and going down the logging trail. Then I loved the big mule Jack. You had to talk softly with him or he would get cranky and want to do his own thing. He was incredibly strong and was working alone. I'm sure that why those guys put up with him. Sounds like my kids when they were teenagers. :D
Then that log loader, it was cable driven through a pto winch. Kinda reminded me of a catapult. It sure wasn't a gentle lift. Then it was at least a 3' drop over the sides. Yikes :o
I love that show. Anything the celebrates the working man is alright with me. It is about work, not like some of those "reality shows" where all they do is talk about not meeting a deadline and bitch at each other. Three cheers for Mike Rowe, the hero of the show.

two saw

low_48
You hit the nail on the head with the reality show junk.
I  can't stand any of them things. I feel bad for america that over 20 million voted on the idol show. That kind of crap ain't even close to reality. I work with two guys that don't miss and episode and they sit there and talk about it like a couple teenage girls.
I have to leave.
Mike Rowe is a real shot in the arm for the working man and keeping reality in check for millions of us.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

logwalker

My wife had an interesting observation about the show. According to her "the jackass was behind the mule!"   Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tom

Did you read Mike's response to all the people who only criticize safety?  I agree with him, it was a good response.  I think, as important as safety is, people run it into the ground with all of their monday morning quarterbacking.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6941971108/m/7611959468

logwalker

I did read his response and he made some valid points. Rather refreshing too I might add.

A little sad though in the way it portrays the small logger. By sad I mean in the fact that guys are getting hurt and suffering hearing losses and it is shown in an almost comical way. I sure wish I had worn ear plugs back then. And if only that tree hadn't jumped out and permanently mangled my knee. I hope those guys have their guardian angels around them. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Tom

I didn't see the show, but am curious about the log loader.  Is it a pulpwood loader like I show in photos  on my website www.tomssaw.com ?

two saw

Tom, No, the loader on this truck loaded from the side like one on a sawmill. It had two arms that you rolled the log onto and then the log was raised, by a pto winch I assume. The two arms followed the log bunk standards all the way to the top and flipped the log over them sending it crashing down to the truck bed.  :o
Did not seem to have a problem with even the big logs.
Truck sure took a pounding.
I think I'll build one.   :D
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

Bibbyman

Side loaders were real common around here when I was a kid in the 50's up until about the 80's when they all disappeared.  I don't know if they were outlawed or just replace by wheel loaders and knuckle boom loaders. 

All I seen had trip side bunks on the other side to unload logs.  Pull a lever and the side bunks would fall and logs would spill out in a thundering crash. They probably account for the low numbers of surviving loggers from that era. 

Tom,  you've got a couple more chances to catch the show.

Added a little later...

Tom, here is what the loader looked like.  Can you imagine a log falling onto the deck from the top of the loading arms?

I suspect the first guy to think of putting loading arms on a band sawmill probably had walked by one of these earlier in his life.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

Still a couple of the side loaders around my area. One guy horse logs small plots and hauls on old side loader mounted on single axle F700 Ford. Another has a small JD skidder and side loader. He comes by my mill occasionally to talk logging and milling. He and I have not yet reached agreement on price of logs. Have not bought any from him.  I think Taylor Machinery in Louisville, MS manufactured this type of loader until, as you say it became outdated and replaced with big trucks and knuckleboom loaders.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

WH_Conley

Tom, thanks for the link, I will have to agree with Mike in part , what he says about the safety concerns of big business is true. I have sit through countlless safety meetings only to go to work and get pushed ( if you will let em) by the supers to get the work done, regardless of safety.

Standing Joke: "Ya"ll be safe, just don't let it get in the of production"

It ain't that funny of a joke either.
Bill

rvrdivr

I didn't see that show, but the one where they were deadheading was neat. I think it was in one of the great lakes? I thought that was a really nice shop that guy had!

Though I thought it strange, that before they raised a log from the lake bottom, they screwed an eye bolt into it to attach a line. Why would you damage the wood doing that, when you could use a log tong or just wrap a line or strap around it? I saw that done again by others on another show about reclaimed lumber that was on the History Channel.
I talk from experience when I say, I know what it takes to remove a log from that enviroment, stuck or not. To screw an eye bolt into the log, would not only be a waste of time, but it would also damage the wood.

Safety First
It was good to read Mike's reply about safety from the link Tom left. I say, Well Said!
I can understand why there are rules and regulations, and one is simply the company's needing to cover their buts. But also, the sad fact, that alot of people are just plain idiots. If everyone today claims to have common sense, then maybe it should be said, that the people that have true sound practical judgement, have uncommon sense.

Brian

LT40HDD51

I havent seen the show, but I know a couple things about horse logging. My long-time girlfriend's father pulled horses (I think you yankees call it a "hitch"?) for years and has a team he works in the woods. You need calm, cool horses in the bush or you are asking for trouble. Sometimes fingers, or lives, are at stake if the horse jumped the wrong way at the wrong time. Too bad they portrayed them like, er, jackasses. It's really something to watch a good team and teamster in the woods pulling out our big logs. I guess an animal is only as good as its owner...

Her father also has a trailer he borrows from a friend somethimes, mostly for firewood. Much like a woods trailer with a loader for behind a tractor, but with a 9hp Honda powerpack for the loader and all mounted on a wagon for behind the horses. Can haul 2 cords behind 2 horses on a decent road, 1 cord in the bush to the landing...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

treebucker

I've liked that show ever since I saw my 1st one. I agree about the mules character and the techniques employed being dangerous.  I've been lucky enough here to watch the Amish move logs with their teams. They were slower off the line and much more disciplined.

If you want to watch a show on horse logging you ought to watch "Horses in the Forest" sometime. Much safer techniques and more coverage. It showed him felling, bucking, skidding, swing milling, kiln drying and turning into furniture. Many thumbs up. It's still shown on PBS from time to time.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Thank You Sponsors!