iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about installing Cooks guides.

Started by Modat22, May 19, 2007, 11:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

I bit the bullit last week and placed an order for a couple retrofits for my homemade mill. Question, whats the best way to install them? I've seen some photos where they have been welded in place but I was wondering if it would be better to slide them into another piece of square tubing and locking them in place with bolts.

What do you guys think?
remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

They are built on same "almost" exact principle and design as the woodmizer guides.  If you don't get a recommendation for installlation from your supplier, then copy the installation that Wood Mizer uses on its mills.  I'm sure there are pictures here somewhere, and if not, someone will probably supply some.   You won't to keep them as adjustable and strong as possible.

Modat22

I'm searching photo's  ;)

Gonna fire up the mill tomorrow and cut up as much cedar as possible. I still have the 30 plus incher from last year that I haven't cut yet because I'm scared of wasting it. I thought about paying part timer to come over to do it for me  :D.

jrokusek

Let me know how you like those guides.  I'm also looking to upgrade.  My homemade ones are OK, but I bet something better would save me a few headaches!

Jim

Modat22

I recieved my retrofits today, man they do look nice.

Question, To move the back of the guide roller closer/away from the back of the blade are you supposed to losen 2 of the 4 axis adjust ment bolts and pull just position the roller or should I made the whole mounting tube movable?

Looks like I have about 1 inch of movement if thats how it works.

johncinquo

Just got the catalog and saw those.   Look very nice, I especially like the fact that they come with zerk fittings so you can grease them.  I am a rust-fobic and grease up everything all the time.   They looked like the may be a bit overkill, with all the adjustments you can make, but if you really want to make sure your blades track correctly, maybe their worth it... 
Have you read the article about flat blades?  The cupping, and how it will dive or rise, and the machine they have to flatten them out.  KInda interesting. 

I bought some blades from them, and they talked me into trying out their world famous, patent pending, nothing better in the world for cutting for so many reasons, $4 extra blades.   I really did not see any difference in them and the regular blades I bought at the same time.  Maybe I am not pushing them to the limit or something....  I mentioned I wanted to have less dust left on the boards, and was told these are the ticket for removing the dust. 

It was fun dreaming of those mills and all the fancy features in the catalog though.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

PineNut

I have a Cooks mill and the blades track very well. Cooks also says to lube the guides about every four hours or twice a day.

Thank You Sponsors!