iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheel Loader ???

Started by srt, October 25, 2007, 02:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

I know this is not totally FF related, but you (collective) folks have done and know so much that this is probably my best resource to get questions asked about equipment.

I'm converting 25 acres from chemically farmed row crop to organic.  Not new to farm work, but as a kid was a hired hand whose particular hands fit real well on a manure fork and a tomato basket.  Didn't make a lot of management decisions - as you might guess.

I'm getting ready to start a compost program.  I have a 70 Horse Moline 670  gas tractor w/ FEL, and a self propelled compost turner as my main tools for this job.  It occurred to me that a wheeled loader would possibly come in real handy to help build/shape the windrows, as well as fill the spreader when the compost is done.  My tractor w/ FEL will do what I want to do, but much, much slower than a Wheel loader, and besides - who wouldn't want one!!!

Keep in mind I occasionally use my LT-30 and the Loader might be better suited for lifting than my tractor.

OK, Here's the questions:  I don't know anything about the beast I'm thinking about getting.  What models/makes are the old standards where parts and local knowledge to fix are likely to be available?  I'm thinking gas, since it will be stored outside and would like it to start anytime, as well as I think it will be a little cheaper????  Budget is a consideration.  Wouldn't want to go over 5k, which may not even get me one worth having.

Teach me a thing or two, and when I know enough to ask intelligent questions, I'll be back with more???'s.

beenthere

When you talk "wheel loader", do you mean a skid steer?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

srt

Been there,  Good question.  No, I mean something much bigger with a several yd3  bucket.   They're made by Michigan, Case, JD, etc.  Have 4 BIG tires and some are articulating.  Might weigh 15K or more.   I passed one up for $1500 a few years ago - if I only knew then what I know now.....I think that was an unheard of price.  The owner had passed away and the family was just trying to get someone to get rid of all his "stuff".  It ran too!!!   A Skid steer would be nice too, but DanG they're espensive!!!

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

That was a good price.
Just the tires could cost twice that.

Oh, well, just spilt milk!
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

solodan

srt, did you ever find a wheel loader? ??? I've been looking for one also, but I am looking for a smaller articulating one around 10k lbs. I have really had no luck. I would like to find a nice used one with low hours, but most of them are twice the price of the skidsteers I find, but that's ok, they lift way more than even the largest skidsteers. I looked at a Massey 7500 today. The owner may want to part with it. It is a little smaller than I would like, and does not have an enclosed cab, but if the price is right. ??? It also only has 600 hrs. Does anyone know anything about these units?

Haytrader

Wheel loaders or Pay loaders as they are called around here are very good tools. To find one on gas would be very hard I would think. Any that I have seen on gas are really old. Sounds like the one you let get away was a deal.
A place to look would be your states surplus sales. I know Kansas has this and one of the smaller ones is a Case 12 or 14(?) I think. But they are all diesel, which is OK if you plug them in when you know you will need it in cold weather.

I run them all the time unloading hay at feedlots. Every brand and color. Deere, Case, New Holland, Volvo, and Cat. One thing I would look for is brakes. A lot of the older ones don't work as well.
Haytrader

Handy Andy

I'm having trouble imagining much of a loader for  5 K.  A buddy of mine has a 544 C and he would not think of selling it so cheap.  And it was built probably late 70s.  He told me once what the engine overhaul cost, more than a farm tractor.   I have a lot of fun with my skidsteer.  It is 75 hp and moves around pretty quick, but not  fast down the road.  it has a 6' bucket and moves dirt faster than my tractor with fel.  If I was looking used, would look for a JD as the price is right on used JD skid steers. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Mooseherder

Quote from: srt on October 25, 2007, 02:39:47 PM

I'm converting 25 acres from chemically farmed row crop to organic. 

How many years does the land need to be chemically free to get certified organic?
I have heard it takes 7 years.  I Don't know if that is true.  Just wondering if you know.  Thanks and good luck with your endeavor.

stonebroke

Three years to be certified organic.

Stonebroke

srt

Thanks to all who have replied.  No, I haven't found one yet, and unless I get a real steal on one, am not likely to find one soon.  Just can't justify the cost for a nice one.  I think I will wait until the Spring when the local Gov't sells off stuff.  I have a few friends who eat at the public trough and can andwill let me know what 's good and what's junk with their old stuff.  Also have laid claim to a friends old loader when he's done with it, or upgrades.  He's 83 now, and doesn't think he'll upgrade soon !!!   

The goal of my post was to find if there's a standard out there.  Kinda like the Delta unisaw of smaller wheel loaders......

Brad_S.

For small mills around here, I see mostly JD 544's, followed in popularity by Case W-14's and Cat 920's and they are usually older, well used machines. I'd love one too, but can't justify the expenditure as the Bobcat does a passable job at this point. You don't see much for under $15K that's worth buying.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

srt

Thanks Brad,  That's the info I'm looking for.

Scott  (srt)

ARKANSAWYER

Most wheel loaders are diesel.  That being said if you are going to be organic then you can run it on peanut oil and be true organic.  Any thing above a Case W12 that is all there and runs will be 15 grand or better with most in the 30 grand or better market.  A 4/4 tractor with a FEL diesel will do pretty good job.  I have a Belarus 6345 FEL tractor here for a loader and it does a good job.  It is 15 degrees today and it will start.  But your compost would be frozen any way.
  With the price of fuel maybe a pair of mules would be better.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!