iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen logs

Started by sdunston, December 26, 2009, 09:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdunston

Well the past few days I have been sawing frozen logs and never doing this before I just was wondering if all the signs are pointing in the right direction. The logs are hemlock and basswood and I am using a WM DH 10 deg blade.It seem that when I Speed up the feed rate it seem to take it well but its hard to see the blade patern on the cant as it instantly builds a thin layer of ice-sawdust that you have to brush away to see anything. The dust comming out the chute appears to be finer but builds up faster in the fingers on the chute. I guess What I am asking is all this stuff normal and should I be looking for other signs as well. This was all during 10-18 deg temps.
Thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

Sam if the boards are coming off at a reasonable rate and aren't wavy your doing alright.Froze and partally froze can do some funny things.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Try blades with a little less set.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Qweaver

I remember asking the same question the first time I sawed during freezing weather.  The general answer that I got was "just keep on sawing".  That's what I did and the lumber came out just fine.  To me, the biggest problem was the sawdust freezing on the boards.  We just used a framing square to scrape the boards as they came off of the saw.  Sawing heavily pitched pine might have been a problem due to not being able to use a soap solution to keep the blade free of rosin...but I never had to saw any during that time.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Mark K

Never had to much trouble sawing in the cold other than sawdust freezing. We run last week when it was below 0. Our mill is inside with a small wood furnace in the building to warm up by. We run 10 degree blades with not much trouble.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

sdunston

Thanks all, We are going to saw in the morning but with the change in weather here its all ice and the temp is going up
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Brucer

Ice & frozen sawdust are normal in really cold weather. I've seen reports that 1-1/4" blades are better than 1-1/2" for sawing frozen wood.

One problem I've had from time to time is when I'm sawing a frozen log with a lot of flare at the front end. The opening cuts will sometimes try to follow the line between sapwood and heartwood and tend to get sucked down as you cut. Once you get below the sapwood/heartwood interface, the problem goes away. Doesn't seem to happen when you're cutting toward the flare.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

I was just sawing a big frozen WO with a blade the had quite a bit of set that really left the frozen sawdust on the log, went and got a blade with less set which didn't leave much sawdust on the log , not enough to freeze and pack .  Also I'd give WM 4* blades a try in frozen wood, sure can't hurt to try one.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!