Charging for planing with Lucas

Started by Gasawyer, February 10, 2013, 06:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gasawyer

I have a 618 an am getting one of the planer blades. I am wondering how to charge for its use? I believe that most of what's to be planed will be large flitches. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Seaman

Gasawer,

I just got the planer head for my 8-27 Lucas. Have not put it on yet, eager to try it . What do you plan to set your slabs on to plane them. I am worried obout hoe to ensure thickness through-out.
We should keep a thread going about planing.
The local wood shop here, Asheville Hardware, told me they pay up to $100 dollars for a guy to plane slabs with a router. My first customer did not bat an eye at $75 per slab. Have not done them yet, still in kiln somewhere.

Let's keep in touch and share tips.
Where you located?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Gasawyer

I'll probably set them on a large log that I'm sawing, eventually I'll make a set of heavy sawhorses with some sacrifical runners on the that can be trued up when setting up.
My head should be here end of the week hopefully. I am in Thomaston,GA and I agree that we need to keep intouch. Thanks Tod.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

fishpharmer

Seems like it would be fair to charge an hourly rate, especially if you have to handle the slabs.  Let me know what works best for you fella's, I may invest in one.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Gasawyer

Fishpharmer:

I'll keep you in the loop.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

logboy

I charge the same as my slabbing rate, $50 an hour.  I havent had any complaints.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

Logboy,
I was going to start another thread about a planer question till I saw this one back up.
What do you place the slab on , sawhorses, a table etc ?
I am thinking of putting leveling feet under the legs of the table I built to make it easier to true the slab to the rails. I just wonder how the smarter folk on here do it.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

logboy

I just throw it on a set of timbers just like when I'm sawing a log.  I use shims to get it set up just right.  then maybe I put a couple screws on the left hand side incase I take too big of a bite.  Setup is the time consuming part.  Planing a slab goes quickly.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

Sounds great. I am not on concrete yet so everything is harder. I have had machine marks in the wood after planeing,  and I think the slab was trembling, for lack of a better word.
I have had good results screwing a couple of angle iron braces into the endgrain and the table. These slabs are not flat on either side, so the first side is kinda wobbley, even with shims. I haven't used it a lot yet, so I am still in the learning curve.
Thanks for your help.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi