Cross cutting with a dedicated slabber

Started by JSwigga, February 12, 2013, 11:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

Whats the best chain to use for cross cutting with a model 8 slabber?  I might use one of my old ripping chains and change it to a 30 deg.  Thoughts?
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Gasawyer

If there is enough tooth left on one of your old ripping chains then that should work fine. 25-30deg should be the correct angle to use. I am going to be doing the same thing except with an alaskian mill. Good luck
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

logboy

I've cut cookies with the standard 15 degree chain and the finish wasnt great. I'm interested to see how these turned out.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

When I tried to cut cookies with my ripping chain, it climbed in the cut . That was walnut, about 20 inches or so. The same chain ripped straight, it was at 12deg . I still have not puzzled that out , but sometimes it seems I can always fin the WRONG way to do something with a Lucas first. ::)
Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out! Best of luck.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

logboy

The degrees shouldnt matter.  Unless your chain is dull or the top and bottom teeth are ground differently, it shouldn't climb. Next time push it more slowly, and every six inches or so pull the mill backwards to clear all the sawdust out.  It's possible those long stringy crosscut chips were loading up under the bar making it climb.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

Thanks Logboy, yes it could be loading up, I'm going to give it another shot soon.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi