iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on September 08, 2021, 07:31:18 PM
We do not see that high on our white oak but then again it's got a long truck ride across the border and that hurts us . Walnut were getting close to your price but still less than you
We didn't see that high a price til we upgraded buyers 2-3 years ago during the failed tariff experiment.  Now I've got a couple of buyers that, for really good logs, offer just much better pricing.  

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Hogdaddy on September 08, 2021, 10:42:10 PM
I'll be hollering at you when I start cutting Nativewolf... First I have walnut to cut on the job, and they're good, just really not any super trees that I've found yet. Maybe a 16'-22", and some longer ones 16"to 18".
Walnut is just doing so well right now that I don't think that you can go wrong.  For us there are huge price differences above 23", that's where the $12-17 starts.  We're getting $6-12 for veneers between 14-22".  Now a 12-13" veneer is possible in this ridiculous market.  We're going to sell a truck load of 12-14" veneer this fall, from a very very dense stand.  $5 is probably what we'll see there.
Liking Walnut

ehp

I have seen $20 a ft once for on 1 walnut log , We getting more beat up stuff now cause everyone has been after the good stuff so some left but its getting harder to find 

Hogdaddy

Quote from: stavebuyer on September 08, 2021, 07:59:27 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on September 07, 2021, 09:44:04 PM
What kinda tree is that?  
Growing in the flood plain it is more likely to be Quercus bicolor(Swamp White Oak) or Quercus michauxii (Swamp Chestnut Oak).
LOL.... thanks professor
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Riwaka

Quote from: barbender on September 04, 2021, 01:14:00 PMPost #8479
"Running a rubber tire buncher and 2 harvesters behind it. One problem I'm running into, as the pictures show the way it is getting cut puts me in this position a lot. Forwarders and sidehills don't mix, or at least make for a long day. The problem is that a rubber tire buncher doesn't like sidehills much either, so the wood ends up bunched in a way that the harvester is working the sidehill. We have to work on a solution for this"

Did Barbender find a solution?
1) After the rubber tire FB drops the trees. Use the Harvesters (I assume with processors)  to run the trees through the heads to reposition the delimbed logs to a better position for processing/ in stand stacking/ forwarder loading. 2) I assume there is a grapple skidder ban, so I assume you cannot use a grapple skidder to re-position the rubber tire Feller Buncher piles. Otherwise hire a bogie skidder 3) Make one harvester a quick change-over from processor to a grapple head (the timber pro 'combo forwarder' can do the change in 8 minutes, and use one harvester to reposition (if the trees are to branchy to use a processor to re-position and the other harvester to process 4) Expense -a) does the rubber tire Feller Buncher have band tracks for more traction? to put the bunch in a better position. b)hire a track buncher to swing and put the cut trees in a better place. c) Ponsse have a tilt/ rotate cab on the scorpion harvester they might do a tilt/ rotate cab forwarder sometime like the JD forwarder.
On the hills seen the processor stack the logs across the slope, using stumps to stop the logs rolling down the hill. Forwarder drives down the hill loading top to bottom. Forwarder's  crane / grapple swings the logs through 90 degrees into the bunk. Forwarder has band tracks front and back. 

barbender

The only solutions we will have will be with the equipment we have already. What I will have them try is to just process parallel to the bunched piles.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Ive seen 5.00 a couple times in my life, 1-2.00 is common, we just don't have the wood here. 

keep hammering. 

it's not bad looking pine, buyer wanted some pictures. 

3200 Doyle on 57 sticks 🤷‍♂️.     I've done worse for less. 

Ed

Unless one has a machine with a sealed cab, you ain't cutting anything here.
Have plenty of down trees to cut, doing so would be a suicide mission.

Yea, to say the skeeters are bad is an understatement.

Ed

nativewolf

@BargeMonkey - 12" walnut is not a real reach.  Go down along the hudson, hijack a barge, float along and cut yard trees til the barge is full  :D
Liking Walnut

ehp

Barge , alot of my loads have 60 to 70 logs on them, thats for the front and pup . I cut alot of 9,10 and 12 ft logs if timber is good so they double the logs up on the deck , depends on the truck, One truck takes a 8,000 to 9000 average on doyle , other truck is over 9,000 and up and some loads 12,000 plus . He takes longer to load and there is zero air in between logs on his load

Blue Noser

Barge,

How many cords/tonnes/board feet do you cut a year?

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Blue Noser on September 11, 2021, 04:29:46 PM
Barge,

How many cords/tonnes/board feet do you cut a year?
YEAH! I'd like to hear the answer to that too. My guess is, he doesn't know. ;D Between firewood, lumber logs, and the stuff that gets run through his own mill, I bet he can't keep track. I don't think I could either.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on September 11, 2021, 06:47:04 AM
@BargeMonkey - 12" walnut is not a real reach.  Go down along the hudson, hijack a barge, float along and cut yard trees til the barge is full  :D
I was dating this girl from Catskill, couple months and they had a wind storm, she calls me hysterical about some tree that fell and hit the house, I was on the boat and said I would get it in a couple days, "smaller tree" for most of us, limbs only brushed the house. We have NO Walnut up here due to elevation, I get down there and that's all the backyard was. Her father had me block up into firewood... 🤦‍♂️ ok.... 

nativewolf

What part of barge on a barge on the hudson full of walnut was hard to understand  :D.  That's only a hop skip and jump from you :D.  On a serious note:

Cherry is poised for a comeback, veneer buyers from Germany are here buying containers of it.  That's my hot tip of the day for you guys.  Back  to $3-4.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

We get some nice cherry but on this sand most has gum in it 

ehp

In small walnut I can sell stuff down to 7 inch top and 6 ft long . That's pretty small

Nebraska

nativewolf

Quote from: Nebraska on September 12, 2021, 05:29:36 PM
That small??
Yep.  Basically they are buying branch wood.  The trick here is that they steam everything that small so it all becomes walnut brown and the steaming relaxes the juvenile wood so it does not misbehave.  We have a poster that works for a mill with a steam room in the midwest.  Wish I could remember who it is but he's offered to do a class on steaming walnut.  
Remember no scale on that small stuff.  You can have a truck with only a few thousand feet.
Liking Walnut

Hogdaddy

Quote from: nativewolf on September 12, 2021, 07:55:35 AM
What part of barge on a barge on the hudson full of walnut was hard to understand  :D.  That's only a hop skip and jump from you :D.  On a serious note:

Cherry is poised for a comeback, veneer buyers from Germany are here buying containers of it.  That's my hot tip of the day for you guys.  Back  to $3-4.  
That's good news, the next job I'm going to has a dandy cherry on it, some others as well
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

stavebuyer

Cherry lumber is going south in the Hardwood Market Report.

ehp

You can sell walnut of pretty much any size and length as guys are looking for stuff to make cutting boards and things , I get guys wanting stuff even 2 ft long . Yes 6 ft long , also 7 ft long and they sort that stuff out of the bigger walnut and it gets shipped to another small mill that mills it up with a small bandmill 

ehp

we got hit 2 nights ago with a fairly bad storm, I'm sure a tornado went by my place , there are pine 4 ft on the stump twisted off 20 feet up so today I'm going to go cut a bunch of danger trees by houses that got busted up for people 

HemlockKing

Quote from: ehp on September 14, 2021, 06:21:54 AM
we got hit 2 nights ago with a fairly bad storm, I'm sure a tornado went by my place , there are pine 4 ft on the stump twisted off 20 feet up so today I'm going to go cut a bunch of danger trees by houses that got busted up for people
The pines always snap 15-20 feet , at least leave a good saw log, beyond that is usually a mess of 3-4 co leaders anyway lol
A1

nativewolf

re cherry all I've got is what the price is on the veneers.  @Hogdaddy be a little careful in that the buyers are in PA and we ship our cherry up there for sale I don't follow the HMR as closely as I should so if @stavebuyer says it is off a bit ...be double careful.  Cherry is also a bit sensitive to local markets and buyers, not sure why it seems more so than others.  

Liking Walnut

WDH

I second what Stavebuyer said about the HMR on cherry.  White oak and walnut and the maples and yellow poplar are strong. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!