iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

We never get big money for cherry . About 2 buck average for veneer . It's grows so fast here they donot like it for slicer

ehp

Well thats 21 locust on the ground and bucked up. Now off to the next mess.  We're suppose to get hit even harder tonight so everyone is getting ready 

mike_belben

An EF4 passed my house in springfield mass and sucked industrial buildings right up into the air on its way east to monson mass about 35 miles away.  The path of hardwoods it twisted off like pencils and twizzlers was astounding.. Trees id have said you could rig schoolbusses off that top.. Just flicked em into the sky.  It was a lot of what made me stop climbing trees.. Seeing the exposed internal weaknesses of so many trees id have guessed were completely sound. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

What year was that Mike? Back around the mid 90's I was running as a volunteer storm spotter and chaser for the Albany NWS and followed several of those from Kingston, NY all the way into the Berkshires, through Great Barrington and lost them beyond that, but you were certainly somewhere in their path and you know how those track around here when they bounce off hills and change direction. It was often like tracking a drunken squirrel try to cross a high way. Those storms sure did make a mess. Had one cut right through here about 4 miles north of the house, like a fright train. They are rare here, but when they form, they are dang nasty. More often we get microbursts, which some folks think are twisters, but they are not. Haven't had one in quite a while now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ehp

The weather people are telling us to get ready again for tonight for a bad bad storm. Saying worse than 2 nights ago. Most people here have not gotten any hydro yet so hoping it misses us but we will find out . Calling for tornados but I hope not 

Blue Noser

Where can I find this "hardwood market report"?

mike_belben

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 14, 2021, 10:01:27 AM
What year was that Mike? 
2011.  I guess theyre calling it a 3 now.  At the time the news said a 4.  You can see train of destruction by satellite in this link.  

2011 New England tornado outbreak - Wikipedia
There were so many people driving around with blown out windows from flying brick and a window appointment shortage.  The flagpole in front of the plant had about an 8" base and it bent like a striper on an ultralight, landed in the road. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I got out my tree straightener today and released some maples ive tapped on my dads lot.  hammered off the 90ish percent of garbage that you get from generations of high grading out the best and growing the rest. 

Before

After

Before

After

Had this been done sooner it coulda grown a lot more of these gems

I need to remember im a middle tennessee slacker and not a southern illinois logger. I got a few slicked off in one pass and a few stuck without dying yet.  Cant complain.

And the goal posts on the quad are my spiderweb catcher. Saves me from doing kung fu every 10 feet.
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

"It ain't much, but it's honest work"

Back to alder removal today around this overgrown pond.

Before:

After:

Boring stuff but gives some detail. On first cut the North side was opened, stumps left high. A month later open up the Southwest and cut the stumps left from last month lower to get rid of stump sprouts.

There was significant sprouting for sure.

Some more work to do here but it is coming along. Water is low everywhere but this pond is holding up well so the landowner is pleased for sure to get some access. The outflow is on south side of pond and is left shaded at this time, although would remain shaded for much of the year thanks to a tall stand of white pines further to the south.

mudfarmer

Good stuff Mike :) Two before/afters posted at the same time? ya'll thread addicts can thank canadian beer and whatever goes on in TN

BrushSaw

@mudfarmer 
Does cutting the stump a second time a month later prove pretty effective on stopping elder from regen?

Cut miles of it on trail systems for the state parks. Never herbicide or second cut so you know it was coming right back. 
can't have anything nice...

stavebuyer

Quote from: Blue Noser on September 14, 2021, 04:42:25 PM
Where can I find this "hardwood market report"?
@Blue Noser
Subscription based with weekly wholesale hardwood lumber pricing. It is commonly used by sawmills and lumber buyers to adjust pricing to market. You execute a purchase order based on the price quoted in the HMR plus or minus per thousand board feet.
Landowners, Foresters, and Loggers also refer to the numbers to evaluate stumpage and log values and trends.
The cost is pretty steep but almost a requirement for wholesale buyers and producers.
HMR | Since 1922
They offer a free sample copy.

mudfarmer

@BrushSaw sounds like you have more experience with alder than I do. Coming back for a second cut after stump sprouting occurs has been helpful with other species but I am anxiously awaiting the results. Going to take a wild guess that this will be an ongoing management fight for this landowner for a while just based on how vigorous the sprouting was and the incredibly extensive root system.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

ehp

Mike the Stump Police here would hang you for that stump LOL , When I was cutting up north I got checked pretty much everyday and the Stump Police were quite brutal , your back cut has to be 2 inches above the base cut of your notch . We have to get our cutting lic. to work in the bush and if they find stuff they the Stump Police do not like you loss points which you only have a few of . If you make to many mistakes you loose your lic. and get a pretty good fine . So you are no longer allowed to fall timber even on private  ground . Now down here I got tree bylaw guys but they never check stumps on how you cut them . They check them for paint . Reason for the higher back cut is so tree will not spin off the stump or kick back on you off the stump

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ehp

No Sir, they are not . They check your stumps very closely and fine you if you make mistakes . Anything that the govt is in charge off most times you will find not alot of thinking goes into their plan that makes any sense . When they brought all the new rules into affect they called everyone to a place to have a big meeting and if you know me I do not like being told what to do so that meeting did not go well with me and when they told me I had to use a file guide to file my saw I told them see you later . The stump police and I didnot get along great in the beginning to say the least but once we settled down it got better , we also have guys that watch how you skid and load trucks 

mike_belben

Tell those stump police the border is closed.   ::)
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

Currently about to cut into this cinnamon roll... cutter gonna have about 40 teeth, no rakers, slice pitch about 30-35ยบ.

<b
r>

Resonator

Cinnamon spice is made from the inner bark of a cinnamon tree, a bushy evergreen in the laurel family. :P
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

That sure does look good.
My Dad was real fussy on how his trees was cut. That stump had to look just right. My brother cut some trees for firewood. My father had a fit about his stumps. He did not want someone to think that he did not know how to cut trees down. I thought he was going to recut every stump.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on September 16, 2021, 09:01:19 PM
That sure does look good.
My Dad was real fussy on how his trees was cut. That stump had to look just right. My brother cut some trees for firewood. My father had a fit about his stumps. He did not want someone to think that he did not know how to cut trees down. I thought he was going to recut every stump.
I think I know how he felt. I like low stumps, a machine should be able to drive over them. I cut at ground level and if I can't because of the tree conditions or whatever, I recut to clear off the stump.
 I get EHP's issues with the stump cops and don't doubt it is just as he says, bureaucrats are what they are. But that 2" backcut height just strikes me as stupid for most trees. A faller should be able to judge the tree and the fall and make his own decisions. I always put my backcut at the same level as the bottom of the notch unless their is a reason to do otherwise such as jump concerns or old wood. It leaves a clean stump on the first pass. Every tree is different though and every region is different. Government intervention, I am told, can vary also. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Quote from: ehp on September 16, 2021, 05:40:30 PMReason for the higher back cut is so tree will not spin off the stump
I prefer to let the thing do whatever it wants off the stump in this type of mess.

Id guess 90ish percent of the ones i chaseoff will swirl to the ground within a few minutes without wrecking keep trees. 

With a hinge they all wanna tip just enough to hang up in their neighbors canopy.  Just no room.
doesnt help that the midstory is like bonsai trees trying to capture every stray fleck of dim light that the top story lets through.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I left a large multi stem SM stump as a bumper and decided to hit it with the blade corner while fixing my hitch Friday, I paid for that one 😆🤦‍♂️ Monday I couldn't even walk. 

This kid deals in the Albany wood market and going to make a killing this yr. 

just send it 🤦‍♂️😆 

Got myself a new /used hunting shack. Guy thought I was joking when I said I was just going to pick it up and drive away. 

The big guy is on the right, hard to tell in the picture but he's able to reach his back end and scratch himself, what he was doing for the picture. 

I set this timberframe 6-7yrs ago, it was 3/4 finished when we bought the farm last fall. Every stick of wood except the plywood decking and the one section of spruce has come off our sawmill, the one section of floor actually came from wood cut behind this place. 

going to come out good, 3 carpenters going at it, putting on a nice tamarack deck on the front and back, be an Air BnB rental. 

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!