The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 740361 times)

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #8540 on: September 16, 2021, 06:03:16 PM »
Stump police is A joke right.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #8541 on: September 16, 2021, 06:38:39 PM »
No Sir, they are not . They check your stumps very closely and fine you if you make mistakes . Anything that the govt is in charge off most times you will find not alot of thinking goes into their plan that makes any sense . When they brought all the new rules into affect they called everyone to a place to have a big meeting and if you know me I do not like being told what to do so that meeting did not go well with me and when they told me I had to use a file guide to file my saw I told them see you later . The stump police and I didnot get along great in the beginning to say the least but once we settled down it got better , we also have guys that watch how you skid and load trucks 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8542 on: September 16, 2021, 07:14:21 PM »
Tell those stump police the border is closed.   ::)
Isaiah 63:10

Offline jimbarry

• Share Post
    • WoodchuckCanuck
« Reply #8543 on: September 16, 2021, 08:27:37 PM »
Currently about to cut into this cinnamon roll... cutter gonna have about 40 teeth, no rakers, slice pitch about 30-35º.

<b
r>
Jim
WoodchuckCanuck.com ? Livin' the rural life in Nova Scotia.
Kiln - 2017 Nyle L200, 8ft x 10 ft x 20ft bldg, 3.5-4" 2lb closed cell spray foam, Demilec brand, HeatLok Soya Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation

Offline Resonator

• Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #8544 on: September 16, 2021, 08:59:05 PM »
Cinnamon spice is made from the inner bark of a cinnamon tree, a bushy evergreen in the laurel family. :P
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #8545 on: September 16, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
That sure does look good.
My Dad was real fussy on how his trees was cut. That stump had to look just right. My brother cut some trees for firewood. My father had a fit about his stumps. He did not want someone to think that he did not know how to cut trees down. I thought he was going to recut every stump.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #8546 on: September 16, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
My Dad was real fussy on how his trees was cut. That stump had to look just right. My brother cut some trees for firewood. My father had a fit about his stumps. He did not want someone to think that he did not know how to cut trees down. I thought he was going to recut every stump.
I think I know how he felt. I like low stumps, a machine should be able to drive over them. I cut at ground level and if I can't because of the tree conditions or whatever, I recut to clear off the stump.
 I get EHP's issues with the stump cops and don't doubt it is just as he says, bureaucrats are what they are. But that 2" backcut height just strikes me as stupid for most trees. A faller should be able to judge the tree and the fall and make his own decisions. I always put my backcut at the same level as the bottom of the notch unless their is a reason to do otherwise such as jump concerns or old wood. It leaves a clean stump on the first pass. Every tree is different though and every region is different. Government intervention, I am told, can vary also. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8547 on: September 16, 2021, 10:14:28 PM »
Reason for the higher back cut is so tree will not spin off the stump
I prefer to let the thing do whatever it wants off the stump in this type of mess.

Id guess 90ish percent of the ones i chaseoff will swirl to the ground within a few minutes without wrecking keep trees. 

With a hinge they all wanna tip just enough to hang up in their neighbors canopy.  Just no room.
doesnt help that the midstory is like bonsai trees trying to capture every stray fleck of dim light that the top story lets through.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8548 on: September 17, 2021, 12:38:11 AM »
I left a large multi stem SM stump as a bumper and decided to hit it with the blade corner while fixing my hitch Friday, I paid for that one 😆🤦‍♂️ Monday I couldn't even walk. 

This kid deals in the Albany wood market and going to make a killing this yr. 

just send it 🤦‍♂️😆 

Got myself a new /used hunting shack. Guy thought I was joking when I said I was just going to pick it up and drive away. 

The big guy is on the right, hard to tell in the picture but he's able to reach his back end and scratch himself, what he was doing for the picture. 

I set this timberframe 6-7yrs ago, it was 3/4 finished when we bought the farm last fall. Every stick of wood except the plywood decking and the one section of spruce has come off our sawmill, the one section of floor actually came from wood cut behind this place. 

going to come out good, 3 carpenters going at it, putting on a nice tamarack deck on the front and back, be an Air BnB rental. 

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8549 on: September 17, 2021, 06:06:42 AM »
Very nice timber frame 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #8550 on: September 17, 2021, 06:44:29 AM »
Barge, those elk are beautiful! Your fences must be stout to keep them in.  I like your hunting shack/mobile parts room/crew quarters/dog house/snowmobile camp...it could come in handy!  You gonna leave it on wheels, that may be handy too!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8551 on: September 17, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »
The Repo hand is way strong.  :D

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #8552 on: September 17, 2021, 06:52:31 AM »
Barge those elk look great and so does that house 

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #8553 on: September 17, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »
Barge, things are looking good for you. I have been meaning to run up for a visit all summer, but things got away from me and I have yet to get a handle on it. I am looking out that one window in the TF and thinking I have been around that area, but I don't know where that  might be. At any rate it should bring a very nice rental rate for the Windham skiers when it gets finished.
 I have seen a lot of those sheds gently used, go cheap because of the moving issues, but if you have the right gear its pretty simple and a nice deal can be had. That one looks like 12x24 and will be a good storage shed or any of a dozen other things. I love mine. It's high and dry.
 Gotta get up and see your progress soon on Matt's and the other property. Keep hammerin' man!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #8554 on: September 17, 2021, 07:56:05 AM »
Reason for the higher back cut is so tree will not spin off the stump or kick back on you off the stump

That's the "european" technique everybody learns in loggers school. I thought you guys in north america use a humbold face (undercut) and than a more or less flush backcut. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8555 on: September 17, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
if you put the step together with a bore cut on leaners, it will create a lock step that helps prevent a barberchair from swinging its ugly leg up. 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8556 on: September 17, 2021, 12:17:46 PM »
I think I know how he felt. I like low stumps, a machine should be able to drive over them. I cut at ground level and if I can't because of the tree conditions or whatever, I recut to clear off the stump.
 I get EHP's issues with the stump cops and don't doubt it is just as he says, bureaucrats are what they are. But that 2" backcut height just strikes me as stupid for most trees. A faller should be able to judge the tree and the fall and make his own decisions. I always put my backcut at the same level as the bottom of the notch unless their is a reason to do otherwise such as jump concerns or old wood. It leaves a clean stump on the first pass. Every tree is different though and every region is different. Government intervention, I am told, can vary also. :D ;D
If you look up OHSA we’re all supposed to do the 2” step for the back cut especially on conventional faces.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8557 on: September 17, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »
Reason for the higher back cut is so tree will not spin off the stump or kick back on you off the stump

That's the "european" technique everybody learns in loggers school. I thought you guys in north america use a humbold face (undercut) and than a more or less flush backcut.
That’s PNW cutting with the humboldt face and flush back cuts if done right all you have to do is trim the little fibers off the butt log and run.

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
« Reply #8558 on: September 17, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
The Oregon, Washington, and BC logging safety codes require a step up on the back cut for better control and anti kick back. Most of those states, province logging safety rules were/are developed with lots of input from professional loggers, timber fallers, etc. Most are written because some ones blood was spilled. In Mike Bs case he is not an employee so he is ok to do as he pleases. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #8559 on: September 17, 2021, 02:26:38 PM »
ya no humble cuts here , first the stump has to be low and that is the way they want it done . Up where I'm from now they want you to cut for 2 solid weeks falling timber before they will pass you after you take the classes . It's for sure a part of the job that is die fast . It's very hard to find a good timber cutter . 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
First post and a couple of questions

Started by peter nap on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
by Jeff