iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson or Lucas Slabber?

Started by bkaimwood, September 05, 2016, 07:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Quote from: MbfVA on May 21, 2017, 01:09:27 AM
It's very interesting to see the comments about the swing blade mills like Peterson and Lucas, and now turbo saw. I have been looking only at band saw Mills.  I wonder a lot about one thing: with all the gizmos put on by Wood-Mizer, Norwood, et als, to make sure the log doesn't move on the band Saw Mills, log dogs/clamps and all that, what keeps the log that's being sawed by a swing blade mill from moving?  Most of the videos I have seen show the log just sitting there on a few pieces of 6 x 6 or whatever.
I got the Turbo saw with the dedicated slabber several months ago. Due to having bypass surgery I've not ran it yet. Hope to saw first log this week. Looking forward to seeing how it runs. Will keep updates on it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

nativewolf

Quote from: xlogger on May 21, 2017, 06:12:00 AM
It's very interesting to see the comments about the swing blade mills like Peterson and Lucas, and now turbo saw. I have been looking only at band saw Mills.  I wonder a lot about one thing: with all the gizmos put on by Wood-Mizer, Norwood, et als, to make sure the log doesn't move on the band Saw Mills, log dogs/clamps and all that, what keeps the log that's being sawed by a swing blade mill from moving?  Most of the videos I have seen show the log just sitting there on a few pieces of 6 x 6 or whatever.
I got the Turbo saw with the dedicated slabber several months ago. Due to having bypass surgery I've not ran it yet. Hope to saw first log this week. Looking forward to seeing how it runs. Will keep updates on it.

Wow man, hope you are ok.  I was wondering what happened to your mill.   I am an NC State forestry grad so spent more than a little time in your neck of the woods at the NC State Hill Forest.  It was good to see the location pop up, don't think most could put their thumb on Bahama NC.
Liking Walnut

xlogger

Been running band mill with a helper but stayed away from the heavy slabs. Only a few miles from Hill Forest and you pass by my place on the way, PM me and I'll give you my address and you can stop by if you like.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Don P

More of us know how to get to the Bahamas than you know  :D
For the uninitiated in NC it's Ba-hay-ma, I was sawing down in Efland a few weeks ago.
My wife is a State grad... after being a UNC grad, had to go back for a real education  ;D
Hope you're on the mend!

ButchC

I have a pair of 6x6s with a notch cut in them. Occasionally an odd shaped log will require some shims so it sits still. As you get down to the last few cuts you have to lighten up your feed rates so the saw doesn't pull the log around.  Peterson sells some dogs that hold the log securely but I get along fine without them.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!