iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress drying schedule

Started by Joey Grimes, October 22, 2016, 07:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I have some 8/4 cypress to dry in my l53 does anyone know a drying schedule I'm assuming the schedule would be similar to pine but I'm not sure and if it's like pine am I limited to 300 bf per load ? It is not sinker cypress .
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Den Socling

I was just getting ready to write that you should forget a DH kiln if it was sinker cypress. The wet pockets in that stuff are worse than any I have ever seen. Unfortunately, I can't help you. I have never dried Cypress that wasn't infected.

bucknwfl

Not sure on the schedule but it has to be air dried for about 6 months before thinking about drying.  I have had about 5mbf dried and he insists it be stickers for 6 months first

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

ellmoe

Quote from: bucknwfl on October 24, 2016, 05:48:27 PM
Not sure on the schedule but it has to be air dried for about 6 months before thinking about drying.  I have had about 5mbf dried and he insists it be stickers for 6 months first

Thanks

Buck

It can be dried, fresh sawn, but it takes more energy ( $'s ), and time.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Kiln schedule 257 in DRY KILN SCHEDULES FOR COMMERCIAL WOODS, and then do the modification for a DH unit.  OK?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Joey Grimes

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Joey Grimes

So if I understand correctly I use the higher temperature schedules emc to modify for my low temp dh kiln .so for over 50%mc my dB 90 wb 86 ?

tmbrcruiser

I used cypress on my mill. I know kiln dried lumber isn't necessary for board and batten siding but I wanted it dried. So I sent my cypress to a close friend to have it dried in a Nyle L200. I had the lumber on sticks for about 60 days and made out fine. We sawed about 6,000 bf and have

a lot more to cut, what a great wood.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Yes, The same MC ranges and the same EMC.  You could use the same RH.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Kiln operators here will not accept Cypress until it has air dried for at least 6 months.  I have not found Sinker Cypress to be any wetter than fresh sawn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joey Grimes

From what I've heard it's not that sinker cyp is any wetter it's that it has wet pockets that do not release moisture as fast as most of the wood

Den Socling

The wet pockets don't want to release water period. I'm re-drying some that a vac kiln customer doing custom drying had up to 160 degrees in a vacuum and the 16/4 Sinker Cypress still had wet pockets. But I have a way. It is really hard to get a uniform 7%!

Thank You Sponsors!