iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone built a band cleaner?

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 19, 2013, 07:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I set mine before every sharpening, without fail.

I have always found that, especially the teeth on the inside of the band are off quite a bit, the outside, so-so!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 22, 2013, 07:12:21 PM
Quote from: drobertson on June 22, 2013, 01:52:06 PM
Lots of good ideas here, I have thought about the same as well,  just how to do it, (quick as possible) I do like the drill press wire wheel technique. It doesn't take much to knock off the stuff that's left on, and in the gullet area,  I have always thought a brass wire brush was best for cutting edges.  I have been fortunate enough to get around 4 to 5 sharpenings without re-setting, so the good point Bibby brought up does not affect my application. This said, if the bands being sharpened are for personal use, not for customers, I would use the flush method and a brass brush just before band removal, otherwise some sort of gizmo will need to be made up to set up the blades and run them through,  this type of apparatus is open for all types of design techniques,  david

How do you get 4 or 5 sharpenings and not set them and have them cut flat ?
I reckon I am lucky, if you believe in luck,  this is not typical of every single band but close to it. I have only been doing this with the Cook's Super sharps,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

I get about 3 sharpenings before I see any effects from not setting, compared to new. I take a very light grind.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!