iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Identification

Started by KK, September 27, 2010, 12:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK

Hello - An oak has sprouted in my backyard and I wonder if it is an Overcup. The top and underside of the leaves are fuzzy. The underside is a grayish green. The pictures I have seen of Overcup oaks on the Internet look similar but they never have the holly-like sharp points on the ends of the lobes like mine. I have 3-4 that have come up in one area and I wonder if they are "weedy" like water oaks. If it is an Overcup, does it have a deep or shallow root system? I am in the process of getting rid of trees with fibrous, thirsty roots, and I don't want to add another. Is it generally a healthy, long lived tree? 

SwampDonkey

Red oak, with axillary hairs and lobe tip tufts. Seedling leaves will look quite different from older trees. I have red oak seedlings with leaves just like those. Mine are changing an orange color this year down in the old garden where I planted a 100 lb burlap sack full. Most of which the mice ate up. ;D

Overcup is in the white oak group, not what's pictured.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

routestep

You didn't plant the acorn, do you have any oak trees nearby? It does have the look of a red oak with those pointed tips , your location would help a little to ID the type of oak.

WDH

Like Swamp says, a red oak.  Probably black oak with all the fuzzyness.  Where are you located?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KK

Thank you all for replying. I am in Montgomery AL, (hills, red clay). Not knowing how different the youngster and adult trees' leaves are, I would never have guessed red oak. Though I want to plant 2 or 3 more trees, I'm afraid that I won't keep these if they are red oak. I read this morning after your first reply that red oaks are susceptible to oak wilt. A neighbor 2 houses down had a huge oak that I think was a red oak suddenly die about 2 months ago, and I noticed 2 weeks ago that 2 other (huge!) oaks in their yard look very sick...very suddenly... Very tragic! It is also worrisome because I have oaks in my yard that I would hate to lose - 2 white oaks (treasured!), post oak, water oak, and maybe a black jack oak. I'm sure the drought we had in 2007 and 2008, and again this summer has stressed all our trees terribly. The water on the leaves in my picture is from rain yesterday...first measureable rain in weeks and weeks. Are there any disease preventative measures to keep them healthy other than keep fed and watered?

Magicman

I'm seeing some Red Oaks showing up with all brown leaves.  "Dry" stress takes out a few each year, but I wouldn't condemn the species because of this.  Mostly, they are just in a hard packed environment and the roots couldn't get enough moisture.  Cherrybark Red Oak, such as your example generally fairs better than the Water Oaks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Keeping them watered under extreme drought is the best thing that you can do.  Works for yard trees, but not practical for forest trees.  We have lost a lot of trees this late summer, because like with you in Montgomery, it did not rain here for a month until Sunday.  Sadly, it is too late for some trees. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!