iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any problems with bigger tires?

Started by Kwill, May 23, 2016, 10:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

I see most people run 4.80 x 12 inch tires on there homemade mills. Has anyone tried running bigger tires like say  14 or 15 inch tires? Got a good deal on some rims and spindles and stuff.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Ljohnsaw

I am using doughnut spare tires.  I just go by the diameter - about 21.5".  If you look around, there is some guidelines on the diameter of the wheels vs. the width of your blade.  At about 21" you can run a 1.25" blade (which I do).  I think you need to go to a 24" wheel for 1.5" blades.  The larger diameter wheel will flex the blades to a lesser degree.  The wider the blade, the more stable the cut, but the more tension you need - so a much stronger head.  It's all trade offs.  Plus, the bigger the wheel, the longer the blade you will need to keep your throat big enough to handle the logs.  I'm running 184" blades to give me a 42" cut.  Though, with my 18hp twin gas, I was taxing it at about 24" with a dull blade.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ozarkgem

I met a guy who uses semi tires and wheels and 2" blades and 50 hp electric. It is a beast. My camera didn't take pics so next time I am by there I will retake them.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kwill

I was thinking about going with 15 inch wheels and a smaller 15 inch trailer tire. I have a 13hp engine. All that will milled in it is cedar logs.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Den-Den

I am using 14" wheels with 195R75 tires.  OD is 24 inches and they work fine on my mill.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Thank You Sponsors!