iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl professional

Started by darrenjttu, August 06, 2013, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenjttu

What are some of the differences  between the stihl farm and ranch and professional chainsaws. I notice some things like price, power, and weight. I like the decompression valves. I am leaning twords a 391 but some of the profession grade saws are very tempting. I have had bad luck with buying the cheapiest versions in the past and dont want to make the same mistake any more. I need this saw to last me a long time.

beenthere

Find an MS361, if you can. It should treat you right.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

The construction and materials on the pro saws is better. More alloy, less plastic, better bearings, and other parts.  So they are lighter, can handle more revs (more power) AND are more durable. But of course it costs more to manufacture a saw like that, and for part time use the 290-390 series are cheaper and pretty good. There are few complaints about their reliability, just they are a bit heavier and slower than the pro saws, and wont stand up to full time use for years.

If you want the best then go for the 361 (?2). If you want a slightly cheaper saw that's still going to be reliable for part time use, the 391 will get the job done. I have a MS310, which is in the same series, no complaints with it, and it's never let me down. But after using a few saws you notice the difference with a better pro saw.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

darrenjttu

In leaning twords 362. Its a little lighter but more expensive. Might be a couple more months to save up but its too hot to go cut anyways right now

Thank You Sponsors!