iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flooring

Started by trapper, June 25, 2021, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

My friend is doing a black walnut floor that I am sawing for him.  How much extra raw material do we need to allow for scrap, shrinkage and general mistakes.  I am sawing at 1 and 1/8 is this good?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

Yes, 1 1/8" is the thickness that I normally saw for flooring.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tacks Y

No expert here but 50 to 100 percent? Are you sawing to width for him? Random with? How much character will he allow? The biggest thing is how nice is the wood?

alan gage

I did flooring in my bedrooms and wasn't able to process it in the optimal order of steps because of locations of the wood/shop/house so there was some movement after planing and ripping that resulted in a lot of waste. Plus that floor wasn't tonque and groove so there was nothing to help in alignment, which equaled more waste.

Last winter I did floors in my living room and kitchen. They were wider boards (4-8") but were better processed, tongue and groove, and I only cut out the worst of the knots. Hardly any waste on that floor. Part of the reason for not cutting out the knots was that I knew I might not have enough material so I was trying to stretch it. Been down 8 months and no problems yet.

If this was for my personal use I'd be tempted to saw them at 1" if I was doing narrow flooring (under 8") and they were quality logs that didn't have show stress when sawing. My planer will only take off about 1/16" per pass so I'd happily trade 2 passes through the planer for losing a couple boards that didn't clean up. My 1 1/8" boards almost always clean up at 7/8" after jointing and planing.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!