iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree service logs

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 19, 2018, 06:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I called a tree service the other day and they offered me anything larger than 20" as they can't chip it.  The only thing they had available right now was pin oak, which I'm not interested in.  What's great is I don't have to load anything.  Pull in with my trailer and they load with equipment.  I'm hoping for some maple, box elder and who knows what else.  Can't wait.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Kbeitz

Take all they offer you. Cut up for fire wood what you can't use and sell. That will keep both party's happy. Sounds like they are looking for a place to get rid of what they can't use.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

firefighter ontheside

That's a good point.  I could go up and get the pin oak and meet them and begin a relationship.  Even if I don't mill the pin oak I can give the rest to my parents for firewood.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bandmiller2

Most tree service guys are a decent sort and get many good logs as a byproduct of their business. There is always the chance for tramp iron but with a bandmill its worth the risk. Big commercial mills don't want yard trees. I get all the logs I want free and cut what the tree guys need for free, its worked for years. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jwade

dont forget to slip them a six pack or pizza every now and then. you will be surprised the goods you will get. good luck.

Southside

Like the others said - go and take them, or they will find someone else who is less "high maintenance" - no offense intended there - just the best description I can think of if I were on their side of the equation.  I have a tree service that feeds me logs, they also bring their chips, stump grindings, even pine junk they can't chip.  I burn, chip, or mulch everything that does not go to the saw - one stop convince for them, income for me.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

All good points.  He asked me what sort of stuff I could take or wanted to take so I told him, but like south side said, I don't want to be high maintenance or he won't call me when he has good stuff.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

I've been fortunate to become friends with a guy that operates a landfill that takes concrete, soil, stumps, trees etc.  he calls and let's me pick the logs I want, he loads them, then loans me his dump trailer to haul them 5 or 6 miles to my house.

He accepts logs from tree services but also grading contractors.  If I don't take them for saw logs or firewood, he buries them just like he was paid to do.  He doesn't charge me anything but I take him something every trip I make even if I make two or three trips a day.   Up to this point it's been mostly firewood I'm looking for but my business model has changed.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

I contacted another tree service tonight.  They offered to bring logs to me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would think they would give you anything to KEEP from chipping and wearing their knives out. :)
Chipping takes time...especially a 16" - 20" diameter.
But beggars can't be choosy. ( old saying )
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

firefighter ontheside

Other than a tree service also having a firewood business, it's definitely win-win to give the logs away.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crossroads

This black walnut came from a tree service that was headed to the landfill. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Crossroads

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 19, 2018, 10:57:07 PM
No nails?  :D

Lol, no nails! Don't ask what blade I was using though, it's the one that was on the mill when I picked it up. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

moodnacreek

Better be carful, You could get loaded up with junk logs nobody wants. Open grown , cracked, metal infested, hollow, not good for fire wood, to big to handle, etc. This is the price for free logs. The answer is a big fire pit if your state allows. This is why I buy my logs, so I can state what I will take. Otherwise I will spend all my time with the metal detector and chainsaw.

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, I would prefer to just go over with my trailer and have them load up.  That way I can choose.  If it got to be where they said I had to take the bad stuff, I would just walk away.  I'm not that hard up for logs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

Quote from: moodnacreek on February 20, 2018, 08:07:20 AM
Better be carful, You could get loaded up with junk logs nobody wants. Open grown , cracked, metal infested, hollow, not good for fire wood, to big to handle, etc. This is the price for free logs. The answer is a big fire pit if your state allows. This is why I buy my logs, so I can state what I will take. Otherwise I will spend all my time with the metal detector and chainsaw.
This has been my experience also, so I pick up the phone and buy from loggers.  
We go though a lot of logs.  The tree guys around here wanted me to be their landfill.  I wanted to be a sawmill.  It didn't work out for either of us.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ron Wenrich

I worked on a project that used urban trees as resource.  No logs were purchased, and they couldn't charge to take them or they would have been classified as a dump.  When hurricane Sandy struck, they were flooded with logs.

Primary species were pin oak, sycamore and silver maple.  They were okay for blocking, but weren't too good for grade lumber.  Metal was a major problem.  Even with metal detectors, we couldn't keep it out of the product stream.  

The worst part was tree trimmers had a rough time handling bigger logs.  Some guys were excellent in bucking, but they had decent equipment.  Others brought in logs that they could lift.  Many were 7', and were only good for blocking.  That's not saying there were no good logs, but they were far fewer than the bad ones.   We never got to the niche markets that we wanted to develop.  It could have worked, but their learning curve was too severe and log acceptance was a big obstacle, along with poor management.

As long as you can pick and choose, you will be okay.  When they dump, you'll be spending more time than what the material is worth.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Trees in this area are different. I would like to have someone drop trees off to me. I have plenty of trees to cut,but this way I would not even have to go into the woods. I have a OWB,so dead trees are fine. That is what I burn anyways.
Be careful what you wish for.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Right now i'm getting 3 Tri axle loads a week on average :)
I'm getting some nice saw logs and firewood logs and i'm giving the stuff i don't want to guys that do maple sugaring.
I also buy from one guy who logs and does tree work and i get some beautiful white pine and pay below market for them.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

I talked to the second guy this morning and he indeed wanted to be able to dump a whole load at my place.  I told him that wasn't happening, but that he could call me if he had something he didn't want and he could set it on my trailer.  I may not hear from him again.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

I think most ppl are just looking for a place to dump their junk.

slider

Firefighter be very careful . I am in the tree business and run a saw mill. Here in in Georgia we get lots of nice syp but most of the hardwoods are firewood quality. I would not let them dump anything without you first going to them for a look first. 
al glenn

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Slider.  I'm kinda lucky to be living at the northern edge of the SYP.  I live on about 12 acres with some pretty large loblolly and shortleaf that were planted about 55 years ago.  We also have white, red and black oak.  I've got a 28 incher on the ground right now.  I would like to get some other conifers from the tree service.  People are always taking down nice specimen trees so they can plant a Japanese maple.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

fishfighter

I have one tree guy that knows what I am looking for. Most of the time, he calls me and I show up with my trailer, he loads. Just two days ago he dropped off some nice SYP logs. I always tell him to buck them at 12'6" unless the log is 12" on the small end, I want them at 16'6".

And yes, a 6 pack goes a long way.

Thank You Sponsors!